Install Windows games onto iPhone through Mac?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OptimusRhyme

Install Windows games onto iPhone through Mac?

Post by OptimusRhyme »

After hearing about this wonderful application to allow me to play my old favorites on my iPhone, I went hunting for my old Lucas Arts collection disc, and after finding it I remembered something, I'm now on a Mac. My problem is, the disc I have is for Windows, and I need to know if there is any way I can extract the files from the games onto my Mac, and then install them onto the iPhone. They are install files on the disc, so this is why I'm at the problem I am at.

Thanks for any help.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

That's a hard problem indeed!

Luckily, there are ways around it, but it might take some time because what you'll be doing is, essentially, emulating a Windows/DOS environment.

The easiest solution I have for you is a program called DOSBox. It runs natively on Mac, and will fully emulate any DOS-based program. The installers for ScummVM's compatible games are almost all DOS installers (the classics, anyway), so using DOSBox to run the installer program will give you the files you need.

If it's not a DOS installer, there's a chance you might have a self-extracting .EXE on your hands. A great little program for mac called The Unarchiver is able to extract files from many types of self-extracting .EXEs. Definitely give this a try before moving on to the next solution.

Lastly, there's WINE. WINE stands for "WINE Is Not an Emulator", but honestly, the easiest way to think about this program is to call it a Windows Emulator. It sets up a simulated Windows environment on your computer that real Windows programs can run in. Important: This only works if you have an Intel Mac. You'll need to google for how to install this because it can be pretty challenging (as Wine was originally written for Linux use), but if you get it running, you should be able to run those installers with no problem.

If you do have an Intel mac, though, you could always use Boot Camp and install Windows (if you have a spare copy laying around) to solve all your problems with this, but ... that's a bit of overkill ;-)

Good luck!
OptimusRhyme

Post by OptimusRhyme »

Thanks for the help! WINE sounds very interesting, I'll have to give that a shot at some time.

I believe they are exe files though, so I'm going to play with the the unarchiver, see if it works. Thanks!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Sure thing, and good luck! But trust me, if The Unarchiver can't handle it (knowing the install structure for those games, I'm really afraid that it can't :-/) DOSBox is going to be WAY WAY easier than WINE, assuming the installers are DOS -- and most of them are. So definitely play with that before tackling Wine :)