Not losing your game data when receiving a call

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

reycat

Not losing your game data when receiving a call

Post by reycat »

Hello everybody.

First of all, thank you for this port. Now I know I don't need more games for my iPhone. MI 1, MI 2, Loom, Indy 4... Thank you.

And now.. the last version of VNCSea (a port of VNC for the iPhone) is somehow capable of keeping active connections even when the Home button is pressed, and restoring its state when you call the app.

Since the source code is available, I thought it might, hopefully, be useful for ScummVM.

So, see you and... have I already said "thank you"? Just in case: "Thank you".
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I just installed this version of VNsea and was super impressed. Do you know if it does the same thing when receiving a phone call? That could be the key to ScummVM... autopausing and multitasking. Allowing it to continue running after pressing the home button could be detrimental though, consider the semi-unstable nature of the app right now.
reycat

Post by reycat »

I haven't tried it myself (don't have a VNC server at home, but a RDP Server), but I think that VNSea should be able of staying active no matter what, since Receiving Incoming Call + Hanging = Pressing Home Button :)

Anyway, when I get home I will try to install a VNC server, starting VNSea and making a call to the iPhone from my landline, let's see what happens.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ok, this is pretty simple.

What I can do (and what VNsea does) is simply override the function that gets called when the button is pushed (and a call comes in).

The process will then just continue running in the background. The window is just put away, until you start the app again.

The problem is: I have a feeling people won't notice ScummVM is still running, and will have their batteries drained pretty quick :P. I can add a small label (which VNsea also does) to the ScummVM icon while it's running (basically "ON") which would help, but dunno if it's enough.

At some later point when I get some configuration options stuff added, it won't be a problem.

But for now: Do you guys think I should add this?

Basically you'd -have- to quit ScummVM through the menu, or via holding down the button for 5-6 seconds. Or it'll keep running in the background.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Vinter,

Yes, this probably needs to be implemented as soon as possible, as it renders playing somewhat difficult, if not impossible. Perhaps you could employ a menu-bar icon, ala Nes.App, gbsphone.app, etc.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Done :P.

Also added a sleep mode, so ScummVM will be sleeping while it's in the background (should use next to no power).
reycat

Post by reycat »

Amazing!

Now hoping somone calls me while I'm playing as soon as possible so I can test it :-)

Thank you
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Vinter, thanks a lot. This is a huge improvement. An improve Gui and this app would eclipse Apples own applications! Thanks a lot!
sinaloe

Post by sinaloe »

The suspend-mode is great. it works with my 1.1.2 iPhone.
markush8

Post by markush8 »

Awesome!!