Guybrush walks left - bug in MI1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rotane

Guybrush walks left - bug in MI1

Post by rotane »

First of all, thanks for the latest version, the sleepmode is a wonderful addition, and the "ON" looks really good!

But I just discovered something weird: I opened Monkey Island 1 to test it, and the following happens:

As soon as the game starts (after the few intro scenes), Guybrush has an almost uncontrollable need to go left, and it's always the left edge of the screen. I think it has something to do with the accelerometers, because when I manage to stop him and then move my iPhone around (tilt it a bit), he immediately walks left again. I have to tab the screen to make him walk somewhere close to stop him, but when I tilt the iPhone again (or rotate it to portrait or landscape mode) he walks left again. It's even worse when the iPhone is lying flat on the desk, after a few seconds, Guybrush again starts walking left..

details:
iPhone 1.0.2
ScummVM 20071125_1039
game: Monkey Island 1 (VGA/DOS/German)
rotane

Post by rotane »

Update:

I tried a few other games (MI2, Zak or Indy 4) and these worked fine. Then I tried MI1 again, and I could not reproduce the bug, the game behaved as it should! I also pushed the home button to return to SpringBoard and then go back into ScummVM, and it's still fine!

I'm of course happy the bug is gone, but I wonder why it was there the first time...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Guybrush walks left - bug in MI1

Post by LordHoto »

Forum Rules. READ BEFORE POST. wrote:3a) Do not post bugreports here. See the FAQ answer on how to report bugs properly. The appropriate place for those is the Bug Tracker. Same goes for Feature Requests.
PS: There seem to be a lot of those here in the iPhone subforum, still our official way of handling it is what I quoted.
rotane

Post by rotane »

I'm sorry, I just continued the trend of posting it here, because I thought it'd be appropriate for this port*. But I will refrain from doing it in the future. Apologies.

* quoting md5: Please, make new threads with any problems/suggestions you want to make - (source)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Hmm... I don't actually have any code for reading out accelerometer data at all, so this is weird :).

As for bugs: Since the port is still under heavy development and isn't "official" yet (as in, it's not been a part of any official ScummVM release), the forum is easier. Once it's in a more finished state (should be soon), the tracker is of course more appropriate.
rotane

Post by rotane »

Hehe well, the accelerometer was just a wild guess. And since the bug first appeared after switching from landscape to portrait mode and back, I figured it was the accelerometer that noticed which mode was to use..

But since I still can't reproduce the bug, I assume it must've been something else (maybe another app running in the background, or just dirt on the screen?), I don't know. You can forget it for now, but if I come by it again, I'll report back.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

rotane wrote:I'm sorry, I just continued the trend of posting it here, because I thought it'd be appropriate for this port*. But I will refrain from doing it in the future. Apologies.

* quoting md5: Please, make new threads with any problems/suggestions you want to make - (source)
That was certainly NOT the way I meant it to be. There are different kinds of "problems": for example, when you're not able to run a game at all, the forums would be the most logical place to ask why (since it works for other users, so it's something that the user himself is not doing correctly). The bug tracker is there for BUGS in ScummVM itself. Please don't confuse these two
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vinterstum wrote:As for bugs: Since the port is still under heavy development and isn't "official" yet (as in, it's not been a part of any official ScummVM release), the forum is easier. Once it's in a more finished state (should be soon), the tracker is of course more appropriate.
Basically a port is 'official' if we support it and since we got an iPhone subforum it is 'official'.
hairwad

Post by hairwad »

Hi,

I also had exactly the same problem as Rotane, and again just a one off. It happened when leaving the MI map screen and going to the lookout point screen on Melee. Guybrush just walked as far left on up as he could. Clicking back in the centre of the screen - Guybrush would walk to the click but then walk back to the top left again. Restarting Scummvm fixed this and it didn't happen again.

Probably happened with a couple of versions old build, and a UK iPhone running 1.1.1.

Cheers