FM Towns Audio Question

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gzsfrk

FM Towns Audio Question

Post by gzsfrk »

I was just wondering--how does audio in the FM Towns games work? I've played around with the FMT versions of Zak, Loom, Indy3, MI1, and Indy4. With the Zak, Loom, and Indy3 games, I have accompanying sound track files, and they play back audio wonderfully. However, I have no accompanying sound tracks for either the MI1 or Indy4 games, and I can't seem to hear any audio, music or otherwise when playing them through ScummVM.

Is this because FMT games only support audio from a CD track, and have no MIDI sound? (or perhaps ScummVM doesn't support FMT audio, except for the CD tracks) I don't think this is the case, because it sounds like, when I watch the intro to Indy3, it's playing both the CD Audio track (music) AND a MIDI device of some sort is making the train-track sounds.

It's no big deal, but I was just curious as to how FM Towns produces its audio, and if it is fully supported in ScummVM.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and gracias in advance for any info provided. =)

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

FM-TOWNS had Yamaha YM2612 sound chip in addition to Red Book (CD) Audio.

Eugene
gzsfrk

Post by gzsfrk »

Thanks for the reply, sev!

Ok, for a follow-up question: does the FM Towns version of Indy4 use Redbook Audio, or does it do all of the music using the YM2612? (I'm only asking because if it DOES use Redbook, I don't have the necessary audio track files.)

Also, is it safe to assume that the YM2612 is fully/almost fully supported in ScummVM?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

gzsfrk wrote:does the FM Towns version of Indy4 use Redbook Audio, or does it do all of the music using the YM2612? (I'm only asking because if it DOES use Redbook, I don't have the necessary audio track files.)
Forum Rule #0

Eugene