Sound in ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Treguard

Sound in ScummVM

Post by Treguard »

Is there any way to improve the quality of the midis for scumm games played on the psp? Or is it a limitation of the sound that's available for the psp version at the moment?

I've noticed this with both games that i've played (Sam and max talkie and also flight of the amazon queen, the music in both of which sounded like a really REALLy old sound blaster card and not like how I rmember it originally)

Thanks
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. that is true, default music emulation is adlib which the music sound chip of the soundblaster. As for other kind of support, you would need lots of cpu power to have a softmidi engine, which today will require a real powerful PC to accomplish this. So if the PSP does n't have anything but raw pcm sound support (even though with several channels) I think that adlib might be the best you can get.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Anotherguest wrote:adlib which the music sound chip of the soundblaster.
To be precise, Adlib is Adlib, there was such card and it used OPL2 chip. Next chip generation OPL3 was heart of SoundBlaster card. But at least LEC titles were created with Adlib in mind, not SoundBlaster, i.e. they don't use new features.

Eugene
Treguard

Post by Treguard »

Thanks for the info regarding this guys. I don't know if this question has been answered as I'm a bit puzzled with regards to it, but is there a way to use the few cd audio tracks on the sam and max cd in SCUMMVM on the PSP? I think this has sort of been answered in the faq, but i can't find a proper guide on achieving this.

Btw, there's one game which doesn't seem to be listed. "innocent until caught" wasn' this a scumm game? I remember playing it for amiga, I also remember with Beneath a steel sky having to take the game back to the shop due to eiher Disk 0 or Disk 1 always being buggy, I believe this resulted in the game quickly running out of stock.
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

The process of utilizing the CD audio for games is actually very easy. Just rip the tracks into constant bit rate mp3s as you would with any other audio CD and rename them to track1.mp3, track2.mp3, etc.... Then, place the same files as you would the data game files and ScummVM will automatically detect them. Brilliant!

P.S. I simply used iTunes to do this and set the bit rate to 48 kbps Mono. This keeps the files small and it still sounds great on the PSP!
Treguard

Post by Treguard »

Thanks Filmchick!
Treguard

Post by Treguard »

hmm, his doesn't seem to work.

I've placed the mp3s (track1.mp3 to track4.mp3 in the same folder as monster.sou and the other two files but scummvm doesen't seem to be using them (first cd track is used in the intro, and it's still playing the midi version).

Adam
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Treguard wrote:hmm, his doesn't seem to work.

I've placed the mp3s (track1.mp3 to track4.mp3 in the same folder as monster.sou and the other two files but scummvm doesen't seem to be using them (first cd track is used in the intro, and it's still playing the midi version).
If you're talking about Sam'n'Max here, those tracks aren't used by the game at all.

Eugene
Treguard

Post by Treguard »

Is the song "I remember my childhood in Brighton" not used in the game (I remember hearing the vocals sung by that Texan Superstar)