Engine development info

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jumnle

Engine development info

Post by jumnle »

Does anyboy know about any place where I could find information about coding a custom adventure game engine? I suppose the ScummVM source could give some ideas, but what about other alternatives or technical info? Any advice would be appreciated.
seubz

Post by seubz »

Hello,

I think what you want to do is a very big task, but I'm not saying it's not doable. From your question I feel like you don't really have experience about programming (no offense), and that is certainly a problem if you want to accomplish such a project.

First you need to master a programming language, then you need to know how to use different kinds of libraries - SDL would be perfect for gfx (and is OK for audio), and as ScummVM devs suggest, Lua for scripts (python is a good choice too).

I personally don't really think the ScummVM source code would help you a lot, as its role is mainly to emulate games. Try to look at AGS, at least its editor as the source code is not available. This editor might give you an idea of everything needed to create an adventure game engine from scratch.

You should be able to figure out the rest by yourself.
jumnle

Post by jumnle »

Well, I am not a programmer but I have basic knowdledge of C and Pascal. I don't really expect to produce a fully working engine, my project it's only an experiment for myself. And I was already thinking on using SDL+Lua.

I said the ScummVM source code would help as an example only. I think it would be good to take a look at an already working engine, and ScummVM has working engines for a lot of different games.

I'll take a look at the AGS website, but what I really wanted was info about some already working engines or about how they work internally.