Which 2D Adv. games shouldn't be supported by ScummVM?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fac

Which 2D Adv. games shouldn't be supported by ScummVM?

Post by fac »

Hi

In the past i've asked if Fascination (by Coktel) could be supported by ScummVM. The answer i got was that although the game uses gob engine, it shouldn't be supported because "ScummVM is more of a "family friendly" program" and "adding support could hurt its image" (see here more details).

I found this argument weak, because there are other games already supported by ScummVM that could also hurt ScummVM image by the same reasons. Leisure suit Larry is the first game i remember since it is also an adult game. Then, there are other games that i don't classify as family games (because of some violence or the story). Examples: Full Throtle, Elvira/Waxworks(SVN) or I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (SVN)
I don't see how can i supported game hurt ScummVM image. ScummVM is just replaces the executable file, doesn't allow to play any game the data files. I think that adding support for more games only improve ScummVM image.

Edit: It looks like FOTAQ isn't a family game. It has some nudity :lol: :lol:
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

every, or as many as possible(when the tools ect become available), 2D point and click adventure games should be supported.

since scummvm doesn't supply game data, except 2(witch are free anyway), adding support for games that contain violence and/or nudity doesn't break any certificate ratings. so if the 'family ' doesn't have the game they can't possibly get offended or various other forms of morality, that seem oh so common now a days.
spacetroll

Re: Which 2D Adv. games shouldn't be supported by ScummVM?

Post by spacetroll »

fac wrote: I found this argument weak
Games are supported, as I understand it, as resources become available and by people who are willing to devote their free time to making a given game engine playable under ScummVM. If the developers have a certain idea of the "kind" of game they want to work on, I don't see why they should have to put up an argument at all. It's their project, you're just using it for free.

If you want to see your favorite obscure adventure game supported, I'd recommend that you reverse-engineer your copy, re-program the engine to run and read data files under ScummVM, and present that to the project co-leads. I can almost guarantee that would be more effective than posting nude animations of Lola from FOTAQ (who, by the way, is obscured by shower glass in the game and therefore is only nude here, on the message boards, not in the game itself).

I am not a developer for ScummVM in any way, just a fan and community member, but it still irks me when someone comes on here and acts like the developers owe them something.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

spacetroll wrote:I don't see why they should have to put up an argument at all
in witch case they shouldn't have given a reason...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

fac wrote:Edit: It looks like FOTAQ isn't a family game. It has some nudity
Hmm, the first thing that came into my mind when I saw that animation was "Yeah, somebody will probably use it to make a case for Fascination et al.."... :roll:
spacetroll wrote:If the developers have a certain idea of the "kind" of game they want to work on, I don't see why they should have to put up an argument at all.
Exactly. And right now, I find Woodruff and Lost in Time far more interesting. Then there's Inca 2, Urban Runner, the Adi games, ...
spacetroll wrote:If you want to see your favorite obscure adventure game supported, I'd recommend that you reverse-engineer your copy, re-program the engine to run and read data files under ScummVM, and present that to the project co-leads.
I can give a "hint" to anyone, who wants to modify the GobEngine accordingly: Currently, Fascination crashes in Parse_v2::parseExpr(), called by o2_evaluateStore (through Inter::evalExpr()). printExpr complains about an invalid operator, so they probably changed the expression parser somewhere.
Of course, there's no guarantee that it works perfectly after that's fixed. I even highly doubt it.
PsYcO wrote:in witch case they shouldn't have given a reason...
It was just one of the reasons. And I didn't say "No way!!!!11 Nudity bad!!!1111", just that I don't really know how it would reflect on the family-friendlyness. I'm unsure about this.
Note that this is just my personal opinion, no official statement by the whole team. (There hasn't been any official discussion about this, at least not that I'm aware of)

Anyway: another, more important reason, is, like I stated above, that I'd rather work on the other games.
If someone else wants to do Fascination, fine with me. I'm currently content getting the tons of other games working.

Also, I've been told I'm distracting my fellow students already when I'm working on the Goblins games during a lecture. I'm certain that won't get any better when there are boobies all over the place. ;)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

DrMcCoy wrote:Exactly. And right now, I find Woodruff and Lost in Time far more interesting. Then there's Inca 2, Urban Runner, the Adi games, ...
... The Last Dynasty... :P
DrMcCoy wrote:It was just one of the reasons. And I didn't say "No way!!!!11 Nudity bad!!!1111", just that I don't really know how it would reflect on the family-friendlyness. I'm unsure about this.
Note that this is just my personal opinion, no official statement by the whole team. (There hasn't been any official discussion about this, at least not that I'm aware of)
I don't remember anything, except maybe another forum post. But, I think that it wouldn't change anything. It doesn't really matter, I mean you still need the game to play it. Also, the screenshots that are submitted for it (if it's supported) would have to be family-friendly. Besides, there's already lsl1 and those f*** quest games... That's about the only thing I can think of right now.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

DrMcCoy wrote:It was just one of the reasons. And I didn't say "No way!!!!11 Nudity bad!!!1111", just that I don't really know how it would reflect on the family-friendlyness. I'm unsure about this.
for the record i didn't know you said it

but yeh, as you said, your pre-occupied(witch is fine) and im sure when you get some time, you'll take steps to know weather its image friendly(and from clone2727's reply i would imagine you have the go ahead). pull together some resource's, redbull, and port it(as you seem to be interested in supporting it, from what i understand in your post)

its always nice to see scummvm widen its loving arms:)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

PsYcO wrote:(as you seem to be interested in supporting it, from what i understand in your post)
Read it again.
Collector

Post by Collector »

DrMcCoy wrote:Exactly. And right now, I find Woodruff and Lost in Time far more interesting. Then there's Inca 2, Urban Runner, the Adi games, ...
Your priorities sound just about right for what I would want, too. I happily await the fruits of your labor.
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote: Anyway: another, more important reason, is, like I stated above, that I'd rather work on the other games.
If someone else wants to do Fascination, fine with me. I'm currently content getting the tons of other games working.
I wasn't asking support for Fascination. I was suggesting that maybe this title could be removed from the "banned list", and maybe some day it could possible be added to ScummVM.
Last edited by fac on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

fac wrote:I wasn't asking support for Fascination. I was suggesting that maybe this title could be removed from the "banned list", and maybe some day it could be added to ScummVM.
where exactly is this "banned list" you are talking about?
fac

Post by fac »

clem wrote:
fac wrote:I wasn't asking support for Fascination. I was suggesting that maybe this title could be removed from the "banned list", and maybe some day it could be added to ScummVM.
where exactly is this "banned list" you are talking about?
There isn't because only supported games are mentioned. That's why i placed between quotes.
clem

Post by clem »

fac wrote: There isn't because only supported games are mentioned. That's why i placed between quotes.
to sum up:
- you make a point that the fascination should not be barred from being supported
- Psyco agrees
- spacetroll agrees
- DrMcCoy agrees
- Collector doesn't say anything against it either
- you talk about taking games such as Fascination from a "banned list" which you admit does not even exist

I don't really see the point in this discussion? (is there even a discussion when it has been already established that games get added whenever a dev is interested in them?)
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

clem wrote:I don't really see the point in this discussion? (is there even a discussion when it has been already established that games get added whenever a dev is interested in them?)
I don't see any point in it either. But i feel a kind of attempt of seduction going on here. Same kind of this game is ..... coincidence ?? :?: :wink:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yeah, clemmy's right. This conversation is more for the devs.

@PsYcO: The go ahead? I was just bouncing ideas around. And, I have no authority to give him the go ahead. That would be with the project heads.