stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EphemeralToast

stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X

Post by EphemeralToast »

Please pity a poor noobie. I swear I've read the ReadMe and the FAQ and the back posts here and I just can't figure out how to get ScummVM working on my Mac.

I'm using a G3 iBook with OS 10.2.8. I downloaded ScummVM 0.8.0 and the tools package. I'm trying right now to use Sam and Max. I copied the game data file onto my hd, put it in its own folder, selected that folder through the file selector in ScummVM, and was presented with a list that mystifyingly said "Sam and Max" five times. I selected one at random and the name "Sam and Max" then appeared in the main window as if it were a playable game. But when I try to open it, the program just quits, no message. I think I'm missing some step that's obvious to other people, compiling maybe. But I'm just not experienced at any type of programming or even typing commands in the terminal, and I can't make heads or tails of the readMe. I was a lit major for pete's sake.

I'll be eternally grateful if you can help guide me through this process!
Jimbob

Re: stumped about 0.8.0 with Mac OS X

Post by Jimbob »

EphemeralToast wrote:Please pity a poor noobie. I swear I've read the ReadMe and the FAQ and the back posts here and I just can't figure out how to get ScummVM working on my Mac.

I'm using a G3 iBook with OS 10.2.8. I downloaded ScummVM 0.8.0 and the tools package. I'm trying right now to use Sam and Max. I copied the game data file onto my hd, put it in its own folder, selected that folder through the file selector in ScummVM, and was presented with a list that mystifyingly said "Sam and Max" five times. I selected one at random and the name "Sam and Max" then appeared in the main window as if it were a playable game. But when I try to open it, the program just quits, no message. I think I'm missing some step that's obvious to other people, compiling maybe. But I'm just not experienced at any type of programming or even typing commands in the terminal, and I can't make heads or tails of the readMe. I was a lit major for pete's sake.

I'll be eternally grateful if you can help guide me through this process!
Well for a start, I think if you open Console that is installed in /Applications/Utilities and select the console.log you should see any error messages from ScummVM (hopefully). If there are some error messages post them here and we'll go to the next stage of fixing it for you.

I would hazard a guess and say you've selected a wrong Sam & Max from the 5 options that were given to you.

Jimbob
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I wonder why it would present that many options, though. My English PC talkie version is identified right away.
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

Jimbob wrote:Well for a start, I think if you open Console that is installed in /Applications/Utilities and select the console.log you should see any error messages from ScummVM (hopefully). If there are some error messages post them here and we'll go to the next stage of fixing it for you.

I would hazard a guess and say you've selected a wrong Sam & Max from the 5 options that were given to you.

Jimbob
ok, here's what I found:

Looking for samnmax
Trying to start game 'Sam & Max'
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)! Please report the details (language, platform, etc.) of this game to the ScummVM team
Bad ID 62B61089('b?â') found in index file directory!!

I've now tried all 5 from the list and none of them work.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

EphemeralToast wrote: Looking for samnmax
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)!.
Which game version exactly is that?

Eugene
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

sev wrote:
EphemeralToast wrote: Looking for samnmax
Unknown MD5 (166553538ff320c69edafeee29525419)!.
Which game version exactly is that?

Eugene
sez 1.0 in the finder get info window.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

EphemeralToast wrote: sez 1.0 in the finder get info window.
No, which language; what does it say on the box; any stickers? anything specific on the CD?

Eugene
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

sev wrote:
EphemeralToast wrote: sez 1.0 in the finder get info window.
No, which language; what does it say on the box; any stickers? anything specific on the CD?
Ah...it's in English. I'm now covered in dust from finding the box; it has a sticker that says "enhanced mac version: power mac native." ... I don't see anything special on the cd.

I would also be happy if I could get another game to work. I have the original Monkey Island, MI2, the Dig, Loom... I am just not sure if the problem is with my copy of ScummVM or the way I am using it.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

This version is already supported in the current CVS, if you want to use it in the bundle version.

But I think it won't help you much, since there isn't a current CVS for Mac.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

Solution that works with 0.8.0:

Copy the file "Sam & Max Data" to your harddrive.

Download the 0.8.0 tools package, and use

extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"

to extract your game and play it that way.

This way it works under 0.8.0

For the other games:

Please report the MD5 details of The Dig Mac in the "The Dig Data" version and so on, this way ScummVM can support the games in the so called "bundle" version in the next version.

Best regards

Joachim
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

joachimeberhard wrote:Download the 0.8.0 tools package, and use

extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"

to extract your game and play it that way.

This way it works under 0.8.0

ok, well now I've gotten Monkey Island 1 to work. Loom works too, though without sound and music--I see on the compatibility list that Loom sound is not supported for Macintosh in either 0.8.0 or in CVS, which is a pity because really you can't play the game without it. But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

How exactly do I use this file to extract the game?

Thanks for your help.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

EphemeralToast wrote: ok, well now I've gotten Monkey Island 1 to work. Loom works too, though without sound and music--I see on the compatibility list that Loom sound is not supported for Macintosh in either 0.8.0 or in CVS, which is a pity because really you can't play the game without it.
Music isn't supported in Macintosh version of the game. I.e. any other version works fine on any ScummVM platform. Mac included.
EphemeralToast wrote: But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

Maybe it's Windows executable which you downloaded. You should get Mac build of that and read accompanying README for how to use.

Eugene
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

sev wrote:
EphemeralToast wrote: But anyway, I still can't get Sam and Max to work. I downloaded the tools package and I see the extract_scumm_mac file, but I can't open it either in the finder or from within ScummVM.

Maybe it's Windows executable which you downloaded. You should get Mac build of that and read accompanying README for how to use.

Eugene
Hi,

The tools for ScummVM are run from the terminal or an xterm. So open a terminal, cd into the game directory and then do something like,

Code: Select all

/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac <whichever options you need to specify>
I've never used extract_scumm_mac so I don't know what options you will need.

HTH,

Jimbob
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

You don't need any options besides the filename, which in that case would be Sam & Max Data

eg: extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data

I know, because I bought the Mac Versions and reported them....

I dont know if anything like "" is needed on Mac to make clear it's a long filename. Probably not. :)
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

Jimbob wrote:The tools for ScummVM are run from the terminal or an xterm. So open a terminal, cd into the game directory and then do something like,

/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac <whichever options you need to specify>
I've never used extract_scumm_mac so I don't know what options you will need.
ok.
well, I'm positive I downloaded the correct mac OS X tools package. so I guess the only thing left to try is opening it in the terminal. unfortunately I have never used the terminal for anything and don't quite know how. I opened it and tried it (twice), here's what happened:

Last login: Sun Dec 18 21:56:57 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data
[1] 472
Max: Command not found.
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.

(christy is my home directory, crunkomatic is my hard drive.) any further suggestions?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

EphemeralToast wrote: ok.
well, I'm positive I downloaded the correct mac OS X tools package. so I guess the only thing left to try is opening it in the terminal. unfortunately I have never used the terminal for anything and don't quite know how. I opened it and tried it (twice), here's what happened:

Last login: Sun Dec 18 21:56:57 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac Sam & Max Data
[1] 472
Max: Command not found.
[crunkomatic:~] christy% /path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac "Sam & Max Data"
/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/extract_scumm_mac: Command not found.

(christy is my home directory, crunkomatic is my hard drive.) any further suggestions?
The tools need to be extracted from the .tar.bz2 file, extract the tools using

bunzip2 scummvm-tools-0.8.0-macosx.tar.bz2
wherever the file is downloaded to. Then use

tar -xvf
on the tar file. Change the

/path/to/ScummVM/Tools/
to the path where the

extract_scumm_mac