The Day The World Broke

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

HH

The Day The World Broke

Post by HH »

Hey all,

I'm dying to play a relatively unknown game called The Day The World Broke on my shiny new Macbook; however I can find virtually nothing about this old gem.

...Unfortunately it is a PC-only game and doesn't work too good on a PC running XP as it is.

I'd love to know if Scumm can do anything with this game (made by Houghton Mifflin Interactive/ HMI), OR if I'm missing something utterly obvious. I have a very hard time finding even the box art for this old game.

Thanks for any help!

HH
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

not really, try bosbox maybe?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PsYcO wrote:not really, try bosbox maybe?
According to CD Access, which is apparently still selling it, it's a Windows game, not a DOS game.

Google turned up a page about it at Houghton Mifflin, though I can't seem to find it by navigating their web site, so it may be just some left-over. However, it does seem to confirm that it's a Windows game.

Since ScummVM is an implementation of a set of specific game engines, rather than a general-purpose DOS or Windows emulator, the chances that the game will work with ScummVM are close to zero.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

well in that case, virtualpc, though thats rather expensive for that alone
HH

Post by HH »

Ah, rats. I was afraid of that.

Thank you so guys <3. I'll just have to find another way.
Collector

Post by Collector »

PsYcO wrote:well in that case, virtualpc, though thats rather expensive for that alone
VPC is now free. You still have to buy Windows to install in it. I don't know if there is still a Mac port of it. There are some free, opensource PC emulators out there. Will Boot Camp work with Win98?
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

nope, Bootcamp works with XP SP2 and Vista only.
But you can install Parallels or VM Ware Fusion and use any Win System you like -
from Dos 6.22 to Vista on a Macbook.
VirtualPC for MacOS X does NOT work on an Intel based System !! :)
clem

Post by clem »

also, what about wine?
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Unfortunately WINE generally needs to be run on a true x86 environment - from what I understand, WINE itself is a program loader and API interpreter, meaning that it receives the calls from programs expecting to find Windows and turns them into the equivalent on Linux.

E.g. if program XYZ calls a specific GDI function to draw a box on the screen, WINE picks up the GDI request, and passes it back to X to draw.

I don't know how well it works on non-x86 hardware, I didn't think it ran at all...
clem

Post by clem »

Arantor wrote:I don't know how well it works on non-x86 hardware, I didn't think it ran at all...
HH talked about a "shiny new Macbook", so I assumed x86
Also, kosuan pointed out that "VirtualPC for MacOS X does NOT work on an Intel based System"

so I figured: current mac + linux + wine = plays windows games?
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

How about VirtualBox? You'd still need a Win9x license and install disc to run on it, but as opposed to Virtual PC it's free and (somewhat) open source and runs on Mac OS X as well as Linux and Windows. MS' Virtual PC is now free for Windows but not for Mac, if I remember correctly.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

cappuchok wrote:How about VirtualBox?
ill treat that as non-rhetorical, but yeh, that should work