Thoughts on Broken Sword sequels?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spacetroll

Thoughts on Broken Sword sequels?

Post by spacetroll »

I've played and very much enjoyed BS1, and I own BS2 for PlayStation but never ended up finishing it as I found it kind of boring... just wondering what people's thoughts are on BS3&4, as there doesn't seem to be much consensus among reviewers -- some really like BS3 but HATE BS4, others dislike 3 but thought 4 was a big improvement, others find them both to be OK but not great. Thoughts? Either of them worth buying?
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

BS2 boring? :shock:
I love 1 and 2, the second one is easier imho, but it's a great game.

BS3 was well, short and not that good, don't like it much.
BS4 was never released on Mac or PS2 so I can't play it. :(
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

are they easily playable on XP w/o an emulator of some kind?
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

PsYcO wrote:are they easily playable on XP w/o an emulator of some kind?
Since they were made for XP, yes.
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

MetalSnake wrote:BS2 boring? :shock:
It's been a while, but I remember really liking it from the start until the point where you wake up in some tribal village -- that's when it lost me.
clem

Post by clem »

I liked both 2D Broken Sword games from a technical/gfx standpoint; the humor was good too.

What I didn't like was the plot/background stuff - why did the assassin dress up with ridiculous costumes? How come a café in Paris can blow up and nobody comes running? Also George seems to have quite a travel budget, flying back and forth across Europa/the middle east on some clues.

Somehow I got the feeling the plot was just somehow put into place to string a series of puzzles together.

BS3 I played only a bit; the cave/George part at the beginning was fun, but I got the feeling the following Paris part had much worse gfx and I quickly lost interest.

BS4 I only played the demo - gfx seemed a step backwards, and I won't play any game which overheats my computer in a way that XP does a hard reset :)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clem wrote:BS4 I only played the demo - gfx seemed a step backwards, and I won't play any game which overheats my computer in a way that XP does a hard reset :)
out of curiosity, what graphics card do you have?
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote:out of curiosity, what graphics card do you have?
as far as I remember it's something based on NVIDIA Geforce 6800, but the air circulation in the case sucks - I just assumed that my gfx card is the culprit for the reset and it wasn't just bad programming on Revolution's part :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:NVIDIA Geforce 6800
I have that and haven't experienced any problems with it. But, then again, I never played the BS4 demo...
The Spoony Hou

Post by The Spoony Hou »

If I remember correctly, BS3 has that Starforce protection that destroys disc drives. I won't get near that game, so I think the series died for me :(.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The Spoony Hou wrote:If I remember correctly, BS3 has that Starforce protection that destroys disc drives.
....and contains a virus which eats player's brains.

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote: ....and contains a virus which eats player's brains.
You mean the crate puzzles?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Starforce is quite nasty as a protection, though. I find it to be too intrusive for the system, plus it loads a whole bunch of drivers. Too many drivers, in my opinion, for a game protection system
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote:Starforce is quite nasty as a protection, though. I find it to be too intrusive for the system, plus it loads a whole bunch of drivers. Too many drivers, in my opinion, for a game protection system
I'm not sure if my version of BS3 came with starforce - did they put that on all versions?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

clem wrote:I'm not sure if my version of BS3 came with starforce - did they put that on all versions?
Only the US version I think. Note that this was a publisher decision and not a Revolution one.