PS2 Problems with Simon The Sorcerer 1/Kyrandia 1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TheSim

PS2 Problems with Simon The Sorcerer 1/Kyrandia 1

Post by TheSim »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you also had problems with running Simon The Sorcerer 1 (English/CD) and/or Kyrandia 1 (English/CD) on the PS2 (using ScummVM 0.9.1x).

While Simon The Sorcerer is actually found and added to the list of games it crashes at start-up telling me it couldn't find necessary files. Kyrandia isn't even found in the list to start with...
Since both games are running well on my PC (ScummVM 0.10.0) my guess is that it's either a problem of the ScummVM version or the PS2. Unfortunately I don't have floppy disk versions of the games to test if the ps2 would work with those.

Btw, all other games (Simon2, Indy4, Indy3, The Dig, Beneath a steel sky, etc.) work like a charm on my ps2, so I'd really appreciate some help with Simon and Kyrandia. Maybe someone can point me to a working, older version of ScummVM for the PS2? Or tell me if it's some problem with the games' configuration? Well, I'm clueless...

Thanks in advance... and thanks for creating such a great tool. :D
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

The legend of kyrandia don't work on ps2...
Angel_Azrael

Post by Angel_Azrael »

I´ve got the same problems.

In Kyrandia (Floppy and CD versions, ORIGINALS), the PS2 doesn't find the game, EVEN with the KYRA.DAT file in the same folder of ScummVM and the Kyrandia one. I hope in the next version (0.X.0) the Kyrandia game will work.

For Simon, it's a diferent story.

I own the originals DOS versions of Simon 1 & 2 (Spanish ones) on CD, also, I own backups for the floppy versions (I lost the originals, no idea where they are...) and I also have problems with Simon 1. A friend of mine have the originals CD, but this time, for Windows AND in English. He lend them to me, so I got the opportunity to test them for PS2. This is what I found:

Simon 1 (Spanish/DOS/CD) Found, CRASHED: Black Screen.
Simon 1 (Spanish/DOS/FLOPPY) NOT FOUND.
Simon 2 (Spanish/DOS/CD) Found, Run PERFECT.

Simon 1 (English/DOS/FLOPPY) NOT FOUND.
Simon 1 (English/Windows/CD) Found, Run PERFECT / NOT FOUND/CRASHED: Black Screen.*
Simon 2 (English/Windows/CD) Found, Run PERFECT.

* Yes, Simon 1 for Windows is odd... :roll: the first time run perfectly, reset the PS2 to test it again but ScummVM couldn't find the game and crashed if you try to run it again. And it´s very odd, because IT'S THE SAME DISC when ran for the first time (and the only one I have :shock: )

Hope this info may help someone. :wink: