Does it work on the PS3?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Does it work on the PS3?

Post by SuperDre »

Just wondering, since this port would work on a PS2 (modified I guess), would it work without any modification on the PS3, since that can run PS2 games. Or would I just need to run the linux version...
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Hmmm I would imagine you would need Linux since the PS2 and PS3 are significantly different. Basically this is like asking if the PS2 can run PS3 games or the PS1 running PS2 games.

That could be the first mention of the PS1 on the internet for a very long time.
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:Hmmm I would imagine you would need Linux since the PS2 and PS3 are significantly different. Basically this is like asking if the PS2 can run PS3 games or the PS1 running PS2 games.
not really, SuperDre's argument makes perfect sense to me - if the PS3 is downward compatible from what I technically know it should run like any other PS2 software on the PS3 (mind you, I don't have any ps+)

asking if the PS2 can run PS3 would be upward compatibility and of course doesn't happen :)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clem wrote:
iPwnzorz wrote:Hmmm I would imagine you would need Linux since the PS2 and PS3 are significantly different. Basically this is like asking if the PS2 can run PS3 games or the PS1 running PS2 games.
not really, SuperDre's argument makes perfect sense to me - if the PS3 is downward compatible from what I technically know it should run like any other PS2 software on the PS3 (mind you, I don't have any ps+)

asking if the PS2 can run PS3 would be upward compatibility and of course doesn't happen :)
the European consoles have a circuit missing afaik, it limits the backwards compatibility greatly
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

PsYcO wrote:the European consoles have a circuit missing afaik, it limits the backwards compatibility greatly
Depends. As we all know, software emulation is the way to go. And the PS2 software emulator (which will be soon mandatory in US models as well) is behaving not too badly right now.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Kaminari wrote:
PsYcO wrote:the European consoles have a circuit missing afaik, it limits the backwards compatibility greatly
Depends. As we all know, software emulation is the way to go. And the PS2 software emulator (which will be soon mandatory in US models as well) is behaving not too badly right now.
i read that very few were back-compat in US models was very limited(only games released 6 months and after, before the ps3 release)

then they did a few firmware updates and increased it a little

then i also read that they weren't planning any more, ever

but a huge part of the back-compat was due to the chip, that they took out in EU models to save money(but not lower the retail price :-/)
i feel firmly that with the crappyness of eu consoles your much better off importing one and saving like £250(since ps3 games a region free)

offtopic: ive said this countless times but who wants a HD-DVD player? i would much prefer to buy an add-on if i wanted to play them(if it ment they lowered the price). and more back-compat... rock on x-box:D

yes, im bitter
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Well, the BC software emulation should be at about 95% with the latest firmware (at least that's what I'm told).. And Sony did mention before the release that when the software was good enough they would remove the chip, so it shouldn't be a suprise that they didn't ship it with the chip..

And I personally wouldn't want to see a PS3 without the BD-drive, as it is a very cheap (but good) BD-player aswell, and I'm not really into gaming (except for adventures ofcourse LOL)..
Advantage for us ofcourse now is that with the PS3 you can have even more games on 1 disk, propably even all (commercial) games that run with ScummVM.. hihi..

I'll try some stuff when i eventually buy myself a PS3 (propably not long from now)..

As I mentioned earlier, just wanted to know if it would work on the PS3 without the need for a modded PS2.. but clearly nobody checked it yet.. hehe..
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

PsYcO wrote:i feel firmly that with the crappyness of eu consoles your much better off importing one and saving like £250(since ps3 games a region free)
Indeed, but I'm not sure all PS3 games are region free. And the new 80 GB US and Korean models are shipping without the Emotion engine, so the software emulator has better be good (hopefully).
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Kaminari wrote:
PsYcO wrote:i feel firmly that with the crappyness of eu consoles your much better off importing one and saving like £250(since ps3 games a region free)
Indeed, but I'm not sure all PS3 games are region free. And the new 80 GB US and Korean models are shipping without the Emotion engine, so the software emulator has better be good (hopefully).
im sure they release it to the EU sooner or later

what makes you think that some games are region protected?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

First-party games (ie. Sony's) are region-free, but any other publisher can decide to lock their titles for a specific market. I don't know if that has happened yet.