HIGH RESOLUTION SCUMMVM ICONS - CHECK EM OUT!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thanius

HIGH RESOLUTION SCUMMVM ICONS - CHECK EM OUT!

Post by thanius »

TO DOWNLOAD THESE ICONS, PLEASE VISIT:
http://tiny.cc/scummvmicons

UPDATED (17/01/2014): New server for the icons!

HAPPY 7TH HIRES SCUMMVM ICONS ANNIVERSARY!

Amazing to check in a whole 7 years later to see that this thread is still active, with the latest post just being this last august.

Since I no longer actively make these icons, I'm turning over this project to Maple Syrup who's kindly managed to scrap together all the original icons and some new updates to the collection.
I won't be updating this post, so if you want to check out all the icons, click on the tiny url above to jump straight onto Maple Syrup's photobucket.
Cheers, and keep 'em old school icons coming!

PS. Swedish gamers should listen to my podcast:
http://www.ludosonans.se

--- ORIGINAL POST BELOW ---

Hi there! Here's just my little contribution to the scummvm-project - a bunch of icons! Yay!
These are "high resolution" icons, with embedded titles in them. Why the titles? I think they look good, oh yes I do. The icons use alpha transparency, so don't come whining if your copies have white background or something.

Tips on how to create starters for Gnome 2 (without caption):
1. Create the starter, i.e. on the desktop; right-click and pick 'Create starter'
2. Enter name and command, i.e. "Monkey Island" and "/usr/bin/scummvm monkey1" and choose the icon
3. Once the starter is created, right click on the icon and choose 'Scale icon' or similar, resize to your heart's content
4. Right click on the icon, choose rename and press SPACEBAR, now the icon is nameless and that embedded title looks OH SO GOOD.

Here's a screenshot of the icons in action:

And unscaled:

Last edited by thanius on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 25 times in total.
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

Whoa, those look really great!
But, uhm, where can I get them? I would love to try them out on OS X.

edit: uh, just saw that those are multiple pngs instead of one big image :oops:
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

i hope you don't mind me asking, but what are the viable applications for these? am i missing something obvious?
thanius

Applications?

Post by thanius »

Well, that depends; if you're running anything sane like OSX or some *nix-flavor on your computer you could just use the PNGs as they are. On the other hand, if you're using Windows you'll have to convert them into a suitable format that it can handle. And for that, you'll have to google a bit since I haven't been using Windows for a couple of years.
raina

Post by raina »

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I understand PsYcO's question more like: "What do you do with these icons, what are they good for?" -- besides "looking good", I mean. And I second that question (mind you, this is not meant to criticize or anything, i am just curious :-).
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Re: Applications?

Post by PsYcO »

thanius wrote:Well, that depends; if you're running anything sane like OSX or some *nix-flavor on your computer you could just use the PNGs as they are. On the other hand, if you're using Windows you'll have to convert them into a suitable format that it can handle. And for that, you'll have to google a bit since I haven't been using Windows for a couple of years.
i meen there a bit large, to work as an icon unless you resize them, but then the words would be to small
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

The biggest problem is, they don't have the right aspect ratio (1:1)
I tried to use them as icons, but for now I always get black instead of transparency
thanius

No warranty for using these in Windows

Post by thanius »

Well, I have no idea how these would look in Windows since I don't endorse nor use it as an OS.
For the second, these icons are for those people who like to start a game by simply doubleclicking an icon (such as myself) instead of going into the ScummVM-menu.

Here's a screenshot with the icons in their "normal" sizes:

How about the icons, without their titles or perhaps just the titles?
thanius

Post by thanius »

MetalSnake wrote:The biggest problem is, they don't have the right aspect ratio (1:1)
I tried to use them as icons, but for now I always get black instead of transparency
So you mean, that in OSX they must be square? I can dig that, what format should they be in - 128x128, 64x64 or 48x48, etc?
thanius

CORRECTED ASPECT-RATIO

Post by thanius »

ICONS HERE LOL OMGZ ----> http://thanius.com/pixmaps/scummvm/LUCA ... 28x128.zip
I've bundled the files in this zip, now they're all 128x128 which seems to be the largest width and height I can resize them to. Hope it'll work.
If the transparecy doesn't work, then hey - that's not my fault. It isn't possible to fix without recutting all the icons again onto a fixed background-color, and with all the shadows there my safest bet is that I ain't gonna do it. :twisted: Cheers!
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Icon_Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ico

but the pixel size isn't really relevant though, it just effects quality of the picture

if they cant look good at(see pic) size then then not really worth it for windows users, or mac's(i think, i dont think they are much bigger, if at all customizable)

i think
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

Hi thanius,

These Icons work just great om my Mac !! I use them to decorate the folders (directories) where the gamedata are in. Thanks !!

And it is very easy to use them with the little app 'ASTICONES' - Spyroland. The .png 's can be copied into an folder and be used from there. Very simple.

Even the ones from the big png work fine too.

I use Mac OS 10.4.9 (and Win98 for DOS Games..) :wink:
Last edited by kosuan on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thanius

Post by thanius »

PsYcO wrote:if they cant look good at(see pic) size then then not really worth it for windows users, [...]
Well, I think they can be a step bigger; check this link out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... icons.mspx

But still, they need to be in ICO format; and I don't know if Windows can handle alphatransparency without the use of something like Iconpackager. If anyone does manage to convert them, please mail me with the results and I'll put them up on the server!
PsYcO wrote: [...] or mac's(i think, i dont think they are much bigger, if at all customizable)
Well, as you just posted the wikipedia entry for the Mac-icons you should know that Mac can handle icons up to 512x512 px.
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

thanius wrote: Well, as you just posted the wikipedia entry for the Mac-icons you should know that Mac can handle icons up to 512x512 px.
.....you don't have Leopard already running - ?? :lol: :lol: