How do you get audio in Nippon Safes

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chas-g

How do you get audio in Nippon Safes

Post by chas-g »

I have all the files necessary in place as mentioned by Peres (on 23rd May 07) & have the game running through ScummVM 10.00 but no audio (e.g cars driving past outside on the road - just outside from prison). I have tried changing the audio from default to Win / adlib (also mt32 - green text warning -I think - too quick to read then ScummVM quits to desktop) all to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas?? - Please :?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

i have no idea, but usually the first thing that people want to know is what OS are you running

and are you getting any error messages that you can tell us? it should tell you in the console

also another common problem is that your not running it from your HD and/or it copied badly
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

I'm running Win XP.
No error messages when the game is running - just no audio.
I have all the files in a folder on the hard drive.
I have played the obvious sound files - boogie2,Dino,Donna,Intro,Nuts & Soft, all through media player so these files work ok.

??????
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

WMP use's 'wav' as output sound value, i think

maybe your midi volume control is muted or something along those lines
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Don't know how my midi control moved to zero but you were right :o . Adjusted midi contol - now I have the music although I thought I remembered car noises on the highway. At least I think it had car noises when I played it on an Amiga (this being a PC version of course). I'll tinker a bit more & see what happens, although I'm thinking that this game isn't that good, with its pixel perfect requirements (can drive you a bit mad - as does the repetitive music - no pleasing some people is there!!!).

Many thanks
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

my pleasure:)
peres
ScummVM Developer

Post by peres »

chas-g wrote:I thought I remembered car noises on the highway. At least I think it had car noises when I played it on an Amiga
There are no sound effects for the PC version of Nippon Safes, except for an - IMHO - annoying beep that's not implemented. The PC version is a mediocre conversion of the far superior Amiga game, which in fact *does* have sound effects as you remember (as well as better music and some other interesting features).

peres
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Thanks for that Peres!
I think I'll have to load up the Amiga version I've got (dreaded floppies). I definitely have fonder memories whilst playing it on the Amiga - those sound effects must have helped.

Another thing the pc version (through ScummVM) went back to the desktop in the taxi scene (with Dough Nuts) at the point where you say "Are you sure you're going the right way....." & the taxi driver (ugly brute) says "No, we're there" - 1 click of the mouse after that - desktop.

Don't rack your brains about this good people - I'm not that bothered this PC version just ain't as good as the Amiga.
clem

Post by clem »

chas-g wrote:Another thing the pc version (through ScummVM) went back to the desktop in the taxi scene (with Dough Nuts) at the point where you say "Are you sure you're going the right way....." & the taxi driver (ugly brute) says "No, we're there" - 1 click of the mouse after that - desktop.
when running scummvm from the commandline you should see an error telling you why it quit to the desktop...