ScummVM 0.10.0 and slide out keyboards

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr_Snuffle

ScummVM 0.10.0 and slide out keyboards

Post by Mr_Snuffle »

I was excited today to see that AGI games are now supported as I'm soon to be getting myself a Dopod 838 Pro. This is a WM5 pocket PC with a slide out qwerty keyboard. What I'd like to know is if I'll be able to use this keyboard with AGI games? Or will I need to use the on screen keyboard?

edit - The Dopod 838 Pro is a HTC Hermes. Judging from other threads, there might be others with this phone here
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

I take this opportunity to explain how agi games can be played in wince:

1) Use your device's keyboard: The SDL lib has been recently upgraded to properly support all keyboards + special keys correctly (mostly aiming for agi games). So there should be no problem with this (other forum users can inform you more accurately for that specific device).

2) Use the virtual keyboard: Yuck :)

3) Use the Predictive Input Dialog: This is so cool :) If a dictionary (pred.dic) is present in the scummvm folder (and it should as it's included in the release zipfile), the pred. dialog can be brought up by either clicking on the command line or by pressing the Multi Function key. The pred. dialog's input maps letters to the device's (usually phones) keypad, but it can also be used with the stylus. It's best functionality is predictive mode, in which the word you want to type is 'guessed' from the key combination (e.g. '5665 7666' = 'look room'). For more info, check out the scummvm & the port's readme.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Just a quick note to say using my HTC Hermes I play the AGI games with the keyboard sometime but mostly predictive text (Knakos is right about it being cool ;)) and most other games just using the touchscreen. Works well.
futaris

Post by futaris »

It's a shame that the d-pad isn't mapped to keyboard control for agi though. I'm used to keypad input from the XT days in AGI games, and don't really like using the stylus/mouse. :( I'll guess I'll modify the source and contrib some diffs sometime soonish.
futaris

Post by futaris »

Whoops my mistake. You just need to unmap the cursor control from the d-pad and it works fine.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

futaris wrote:You just need to unmap the cursor control from the d-pad and it works fine.
That is true. I was planning to have a switchable agi-only mapping, but this doesn't sound right. The best thing here would be to have global key mappings and local game overrides (game-specific keymaps). Hmm, maybe I should introduce that scheme.
futaris

Post by futaris »

Only annoying thing with AGI engine is that when you run it on a 320x240 pocket pc in full screen the text isn't 100% clear, since the screen is stretched from 320x200 to 320x240. Would be nice if the text is drawn after the stretching using a 9x8 or 10x8 font, rather than using a 8x8 stretched font.