Apple iPod port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iedutu

Apple iPod port

Post by iedutu »

Can anybody came up with as idea on how to use the wheel as a mouse?

:)
sid77

Post by sid77 »

<edit>
EEK! sorry for bumping a really old thread, I completely misread the date...
</edit>
hi!
I've setup a page on ipodlinux wiki and trying to get something done (really alpha stage, though)
I'm still bugging out linker problems, using an almost empty backend.

My idea is to let the user choose between 2 different input methods:
1) for games which need only one mouse button I was thinking of trapping tap event to get 8 cardinal directions and center button as mouse click
2) for games which require a second button, I'll trap button click events to get 4 cardinal directions and center + something or a couple of taps for mouse buttons

I'll upload something to http://ipodlinux.org/ScummVM asap. Obviously if you've something to share you're welcome :D

ciao
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Nice, but what about this thread on ipodlinux, dealing with itsdvw's efforts of ScummVM port? I even invited him to be official, but he did not answer on my post.

It would be really nice to have this interesting port official and fully supported.

Eugene
sid77

Post by sid77 »

RTFL ;-)
(wow, I've RTFx a mod!)

as mentioned in current ipl wiki page I'm pointing out that link which, in turn, points to a link here which goes to the scummvm wiki on small devices and backends (maybe I'll sort them in a nice table :D )

for now I'm trying to figure out some linking problems using an almost empty backend. My major fear is something not ok in the toolchain but probably I'm just doing something terribly wrong, however I'll post some patch asap.

and about itsdvw: looks like he completly disappears with the sources... :(

ciao
sid77

Post by sid77 »

thread bumping (is it ok? maybe I should rtfr... :wink: ), just to let you know that something is moving: it doesn't build (yet) but I'm on it in my spare time.

Link here.

ciao
sid77

Post by sid77 »

thread bump again!
itsdvw's scummvm ipod port sources are online again. I'm slowly working to integrate mine and his work in order to have a "full" patchset for 0.9.1, then I can focus on svn version, it would be nice to have it as an official port :)

Full news at the usual place: http://www.ipodlinux.org/ScummVM

ciao
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sid77 wrote:I'm slowly working to integrate mine and his work in order to have a "full" patchset for 0.9.1, then I can focus on svn version, it would be nice to have it as an official port :)
I strongly discourage that. In fact, it would be nice if you've subscribed to scummvm-devel. Then you would know that today is a branching for 0.10.0 will take place. 0.10.0 has fundamental changes in backends, particularly, we added more modularity to it, so porting your changes to 0.9.x is a waste of time.

Eugene

PS. I am eagerly look forward for your port to be finished and become official.
sid77

Post by sid77 »

sev wrote:so porting your changes to 0.9.x is a waste of time.
duh :-/
well, mine changes are just some configure editing to accept a new backend named "ipod", all the important work was done by itsdvw
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

Would that mean that I have to install linux on the iPod? Would it be impossible to develop a native iPod version?

//Rob
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sid77 wrote:
sev wrote:so porting your changes to 0.9.x is a waste of time.
duh :-/
well, mine changes are just some configure editing to accept a new backend named "ipod", all the important work was done by itsdvw
I understand that. Just that backend code will not work as is wuth 0.10.0 branch. I.e. new methods were added and some classes were splitted. That was my point. I.e. you better concentrate on bringing it to work with current SVN.

Eugene
sid77

Post by sid77 »

Understand, I'm already a -devel subscriber and I'm catching up with all mails regarding the incoming 0.10.0 release. I'll write something about the port asap (obviously it will not make the cut for 0.10.0)

and about the native version: no, it's not possible, as there's no legal free development kit for the ipod