Playing a game with sound "without sound"

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iedutu

Playing a game with sound "without sound"

Post by iedutu »

Hi there!

I have a small problem ... My MMC card has only 128Mb, therefore I cannot afford to put large games onto it.

Now, let's say I would like to play Monkey Island, the CD version. The size of the .mp3 files is 107,2Mb. If I want to play it without music, how can I do it without using the .mp3 files.

One idea is to have empty trackXX.mp3 (0 size) files present on the card, but I have not tried it.

Maybe it's time to invest some money in a large MMC card ... but until then ...

Same question goes for DOTT, INDY4, SAM&MAX which have .sou (.so3) sound files.

Thanks a lot!
Cristian.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well if you have a cd game with audio tracks, just skip adding the audio tracks and just keep the game data, and it should work ok.

As for the monster.sou I really don't know if the game would work without it, but it might be that it does. So just leave out the monster.so? files.

Btw I am using VERY low bitrates for my MP3, but still sufficient audio quality on my phone for the cd audiotracks. I have a bitrate of around 34 kbps for cd audiotracks, and usually I can get all the audiotracks down to around 20 mb instead of 107.2 which sounds like it is 160kbps or higher audio quality. And at least on my P910 the lowbitrate audio sounds very ok. Just find the mp3 compressor which gives you good enough sound, as some are really lousy compressing to low bitrates.
iedutu

Post by iedutu »

Hi!

I have zero-sized the .mp3 files from Monkey Island 1 (CD version US), and ScummVM crashes. Sizing down the .mp3 files works fine :)

DOTT works fine with a zero-size .sou file.

BTW ... For a complete n00b in creating mp3 files ... what would be the command for compress_scumm_sou.exe to create decent quality .so3 from the SOU files. The main point is the size. It should be minimal :)

Thanks!
Cristian.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. zero sized MP3 = no mp3 files at all. Using the default settings for compress_scumm_sou would create decent low bitrate quality so3. I tried reducing the size using ogg and the difference between the default and the minmal size was around 50 KB for for a 1.5 mb monster.sou (from 270 to 222). I guess MP3 would yield something similar.