New Sam and Max game in the works

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dpolsrod

New Sam and Max game in the works

Post by dpolsrod »

For all of you who didn't know already, there's a new Sam and Max game in development. 8)
Just wanted to let you know!

PS: I didn't know if this thread should be here or in The Junkyard, but the fine print under this topic said "General chat related to adventure gaming". ;)
clem

Post by clem »

whoa! they say they got most of the LA devs on board
hope it works out (though I doubt it'll be 2D :|)
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

Why does it have to be 2D? It's still going to be a classic point and click adventure game - check out Bone sometime for an insight as to how the new Sam and Max game will look and feel as it will be made by the same company using the same engine and multi-part format.
clem

Post by clem »

imo the problem with 3d is that it soon starts to look dated - look at Simon3D and you know what I mean. On the other hand, nice handpainted backgrounds have a somewhat timeless feeling to them, like in Gabriel Knight.

Also Samnmax are comic book characters, switching that to 3D is kinda awkward (saw one of the cartoons, nice 2D animation as well). Remembering the screenshots of the simpsons 3D games shows that much of the original flair got lost.

Unfortunately 3D is what the publishers and apparently the gamers too expect these days :|
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:imo the problem with 3d is that it soon starts to look dated - look at Simon3D and you know what I mean. On the other hand, nice handpainted backgrounds have a somewhat timeless feeling to them, like in Gabriel Knight.
I assume you're talking about the first (and maybe the second) Gabriel Knight game. The third used a 3D engine. I've only seen the demo, and I could only get the software renderer to work in it, but it looked pretty bad to me. And the camera control was very awkward. In the light beam puzzle, I couldn't find any camera angle that gave me a good overview of what I was doing, so solving it was more like "Ok, turning all the beams as far to one side as possible seems to create this figure, so if I turn them all back one step it would create that figure... assuming that there are as many beams as I think there are..." I thought the whole point of graphical adventures was that you were supposed to be able to see what you were doing...

I think the 3D characters in Grim Fandango still hold up fairly well, though. But that's because most of them are skeletons. They don't need to -- in fact, shouldn't -- show much emotion visually. The game is able to take its technical flaws and turn them to its own advantage. Good voice-acting does the rest.

It's possible that technology has finally reached the point now where 3D adventures can look convincing enough. Unfortunately my computer hasn't, so I wouldn't know for sure. :)
clem

Post by clem »

yeah, I was talking about Gabrial Knight 1 ( http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/GK1/gk2.jpg and http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/GK1/gk6.jpg )

GK 2 already had photographed backgrounds ( http://www.adventurecollective.com/scre ... creen5.jpg ) - the characters just don't blend in here and afair it was more of an interactive movie anyway

now if only someone created a vector-based samnmax game with lots of cool effects, or a 3D-based game without hard edges and a decent cellshader...

(just look at gaming mags, they frown at games which don't need an uberCPU and claim that the game looks "dated")
MasterX

Post by MasterX »

I agree i remember how dissapointed i was when i heard monkey island 4 is 3D.
In my opinion monkey island 2 looks better than 4 becuase i like the animation making it look ageless.
Lets just hope they dont do the same to samnmax.
its been long since ive seen a new point of click game being released at one point i thought the genre had died out as i fall asleep on my pc facing my scummvm collection :roll: but ... maybe im wrong :D