Should we have a For Sale/Trade forum?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lord Savage

Should we have a For Sale/Trade forum?

Post by Lord Savage »

I thought about running this as a poll but, felt that the ScummVM team are really the ones to decide this since there may be a slim possibilites that LucasArts may not like that and wouldn't want the project put in jeopardy. So want do you guys think?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

There is nothing illegal in second-hand market, as long as you sell originals.

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

I would very much appreciate such a forum.

This way we could share our experience with good resellers, good conditions for shipping and where to buy all those games we love.

I think it would be a great idea.

Best regards

Joachim
Lord Savage

Post by Lord Savage »

sev wrote:There is nothing illegal in second-hand market, as long as you sell originals.

Eugene
Very true however, many companies have been behaving very strangely lately in trying to control what you can and can't do with the products you originally purchased from them.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me has always wondered if there might be a ScummVM 1.0 bundle deal with LucasArts. :shock: Now please excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat. :lol:
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

There are several problems involved in having a trading forum:
a) What happens if somebody comes along with the intention of fraud and rips off a couple of people? This is bound to happen sooner or later and will only give our forums a bad name.
b) How can we really ensure that only original copies of games are being traded/sold? We simply can't, and might run into the risk of getting into problems with LucasArts.
c) Of what use would the forum be exactly? I'm pretty sure that most people on these forums are buyers, not sellers or traders. Who exactly would sell the games? Those people already sell their copies over eBay.

I think we should leave selling of old games to eBay, which is better equipped to handle them.
Lord Savage

Post by Lord Savage »

Well, I can think of two forums (www.1src.com and lucasarts.vintagegaming.org) that I regularly visit that have For sale/Trade forums and they have had minimal complaints. In fact I don't remember reading any on either of them.

Both of these forums mainly run on the idea of offering items to the forum community before offering them to the general population via eBay. This quite often translates into better deals for the forum members since some the sellers will offer a cheaper price to the forum members as opposed to what they will ask for when they put on eBay.

I agree the originals only issue is a major stumbling block to the whole thing
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Lord Savage wrote:Also, the conspiracy theorist in me has always wondered if there might be a ScummVM 1.0 bundle deal with LucasArts. :shock: Now please excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat. :lol:
We wish :)

That aside, Olki is right. Basically, some countries have pretty strict rules about the sale of used items - for tracking of theft. Australia is one of these.

I really don't want to create a trade forum for these reasons. However, I could be persuaded by a poll to create a subforum for posting of links -to- ebay, yahoo, etc auctions.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Ender wrote: I really don't want to create a trade forum for these reasons. However, I could be persuaded by a poll to create a subforum for posting of links -to- ebay, yahoo, etc auctions.
That's EXACTLY what I had in mind!

Pretty pretty please with sugar on top!
Lord Savage

Post by Lord Savage »

Ender wrote:
Lord Savage wrote:Also, the conspiracy theorist in me has always wondered if there might be a ScummVM 1.0 bundle deal with LucasArts. :shock: Now please excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat. :lol:
We wish :)

That aside, Olki is right. Basically, some countries have pretty strict rules about the sale of used items - for tracking of theft. Australia is one of these.

I really don't want to create a trade forum for these reasons. However, I could be persuaded by a poll to create a subforum for posting of links -to- ebay, yahoo, etc auctions.
I'm crushed. :cry: :lol:

One poll coming up for the creation of a subforum for posting for sale links. :D