Very new to all of this and need help, M3 Simply related.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mikejetd0rk

Very new to all of this and need help, M3 Simply related.

Post by mikejetd0rk »

Hello all, new to the board and just discovered Scummvm and it's abilities on the DS. I recently purchased a DS Lite and a M3 Simply with a 1GB Kingston MicroSD. I tried to get ScummVMDS to work but to no avail.

I have loaded it once but it just showed several command lines and just froze. I have very little knowledge into these things so all help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I read on wiki what DLDI is but don't fully understand how to use it.

Thank to everyone that can help.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

Hi,

With the new libfat from Chishm, you have to patch the nds binary with the DLDI file. The M3 Simply is the same as the R4DS, so go to http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/ and take the R4DS DLDI file.

Take the latest ScummVMDS build (0.9.1a beta2)
Then take DLDITool32, put the R4 DLDI file in the same folder, choose the R4 DLDI, choose the nds file to patch, click "patch", done....

You can also use "Win32 Right Click". It adds an option (right click) to patch a nds binary.
mikejetd0rk

Post by mikejetd0rk »

ok, so most likely I was trying to patch the incorrect version. Thanks for the help.

As far as running a game, I can just put the game files into a folder on my microSD and select it once ScummvmDS is up and running right?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

mikejetd0rk wrote:As far as running a game, I can just put the game files into a folder on my microSD and select it once ScummvmDS is up and running right?
Yes,you can make a folder per game and select in in ScummVMDS browser
mikejetd0rk

Post by mikejetd0rk »

OK, got it working and everything loaded fine when I transferred the uncompressed monster.sou file for Sam & Max from the CD.

But I have major issues with Monkey Island 1. I get no sound at all. I tried using .mp3 encoding for the ripped audio tracks but it freezes everytime I try to start it up. I can play it fine with no sound. I tried .flac encoding and following the correct naming from the guide but the sound just won't play.

All help is appreciated.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

Audio tracks must be encoded to this format :

Format: WAV
Compression: IMA ADPCM
Samplerate: 22050 Hz
Channels: Mono

Be careful, it MUST be mono, not stereo

Mp3 format freezes ScummVMDS
mikejetd0rk

Post by mikejetd0rk »

Badablek

Thank you for all of your help. From all the forums around that I've posted to I must say you've been the most helpful. I'll post later tonight when I try re-encoding the tracks.

Only thing I'm still wishing for was a way to play my Gabriel Knight : Sins of the Fathers.....
bani

Problem patching

Post by bani »

When I try to patch I get the following message:

vanix:~/Desktop/scummvm-0.9.1-ds Folder bani$ ./dlditool r4tf.dldi scummvm-a.ndsDynamically Linked Disk Interface patch tool v1.23 by Michael Chisholm (Chishm)

Trying "r4tf.dldi"
scummvm-a.nds does not have a DLDI section

Am I doing something wrong?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

Hi,

ScummVM-0.9.1 do NOT support DLDI.....you must take ScummVM-0.9.1a beta1 or beta2

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3332
stokefan

Post by stokefan »

hi Badablek et al,

I have the same problem with my M3 DS Simply and Monkey Island 1, I get no sound.

Is there any chance you can post up your experience encoding the audio at the above specification please?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

Hi,

For my part, i used winamp to extract the audio tracks from the game CD (with "Nullsoft diskwriter" in Plugins > Output), you can also use Audio catalyst, Windac or any CDDA extracting program.

Then I used Goldwave : File > Batch processing > Add files (or folder where the tracks are)
Checked "Convert files to this format"

Save as type > Wave (*.wav)
Attributes > IMA ADPCM 22,050 kHz; 4 bit; mono

BEGIN

[EDIT]

I didn't notice that Winamp can make Wav conversion...so no need to use any other software, just open up Winamp

Options > Preferences > Plugins > Output

Choose "Nullsoft Disk Writer"

Click "Configure"

Check "Convert to format"

Click "..."

Format : IMA ADPCM
Attributs : 22,050 kHz, 4 bit mono (10Kb/s)

Close Winamp options, and open all the CDDA tracks in winamp....instead of playing the tracks, it will convert them and put them in C:\ (if you didn't change the ouput folder)
It works also with Mp3, ogg, etc... files

When everything's done, do not forget to change the output plugin in Winamp (WavOut Output)