SRAM save problems Supercard Lite

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

drdogbot7

SRAM save problems Supercard Lite

Post by drdogbot7 »

I am having trouble getting SRAM saves to work on my supercard. I know from reading this forum that they ought to work with my setup.

I am using:
Supercard Lite
Superkey
Kingston 512 microSD
scummvmds 0.9.1

When I include a scummvm.ini file into my root directory I just get a black screen when I try to start a game

initially my scummvm.ini file contains only:

[ds]
forcesramsave=true

but when I check scummvm.ini after trying to run a game, I find that scummvm has written additional configuration information to the file. It is my understanding that it should NOT do this when SRAM saving is on.

Without the scummvm.ini file games will load and play fine; as expected they just won't save properly.

I have the same results whether renaming scummvm-a.ds.gba to scummvm-a.nds or just using the scummvm-a.nds version.

I have tried patching these with the "moomshell" patcher and not patching them.

The games I have tried running are Monkey Island 1 (mac version and PC floppy version) and Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis (PC floppy)

I'd be curious whether anyone has had similar problems and could tell me what I may be doing wrong. Anyway many thanks to AgentQ for all the work he's put into this. Even with the troubles I am having, I am amazed at how well it works.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I think on the M3 you have to copy the game onto your SD card with the M3 Game Manager in order for it to create the SRAM save file.
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

The supercard patching software creates a .sav file when you patch a nds or gba game. I think that would be the equivalent. I am using a 64k gba .sav file which I renamed scummvm-a.sav. I have read that this is what people have had success with.

My understanding is that I'm supposed to QPC and then copy the contents of my SRAM to this .sav file in order to retain my saves. Unfortunately I can't even get to this point because the games won't start at all (black screen) when I set the parameter FORCESRAMSAVE=TRUE.

:?: Is there anything I else should know about the scummvm.ini file? I know that it is a plain text file with a .ini extension. Does it matter what type of text encoding I use? (i.e. UTF-8, UTF-16, etc)

:?: Will any old 64k .sav file work, regardless of its origins, or does it matter what settings I used when the supercard software created the .sav?

I will keep experimenting with it.
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

Okay, I started from scratch, and I have managed to get games to load and play successfully, but I still cannot retain SRAM saves using QPC.

I get the message "using SRAM save method" in the log/console thingy, and saves work in game, but when I QPC I don't retain anything. I try to write SRAM contents to my .sav file, but when I run scummvm I don't see any saves. If I QPC and start scummvm holding L+R it lists no saves in my SRAM.

I've read that there have been some issues with QPC and the latest supercard firmware (1.70), so perhaps that is the problem. If anyone else has had problems like this I'd appreciate some input. Thank You!
mbh1978

Post by mbh1978 »

Hi,

I have been having this exact same problem.

I am using:

Supercard Lite
Superkey
Kingston 1GB microSD
Scummvmds 0.9.1

I have noticed if I hold the Right Trigger during loading and save a game in Monkey Island 2 and power the DS off then back on and once again hold the Right Trigger it will see the save games and load them successfully. However, if I remove my SD card or after playing other NDS games etc and then try loading my saved game (holding Right Trigger during ScummVM load) that the save games are gone along with my settings.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue, reading FAQs, searching forums and I still haven't found a way around this. Oh and the MoonShell patcher doesn't seem to work when trying to patch ScummVM games. I get this error message:

Access violation at address 005BF3CF in module 'SuperCardmicrosd.exe" Read of address 1F125D30

Anyways, the ScummVM DS emu is AWESOME and any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

mbh
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

mbh1978,

re: SRAM Saving
Are you trying to backup your SRAM saves to an ".sav" file on your SD card? It sounds like you might just be leaving them in RAM, in which case they would only be stored until you powered off (for more than a few seconds) or played a different game.

"MetroidPrime" explains this to "TOMMM" here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... s&start=15

re: "moomshell" patcher
I have run the "moomshell" on "scummvm-a.ds.gba" and "scummvm.nds " successfully, and it does not *seem* to make a difference anyway. You would NOT want to run the "moomshell" patcher on the scummvm games themselves (i.e. monkey.001, etc), because these are just data files that scummvm accesses.

re: my problem vs yours
I'm not sure that we have exactly the same problem or not. I've been experimenting, and I have found that I AM retaining saves in SRAM, but I am unable to write them to my SD card after QPC.

When I save a game in scummvm, do a QPC, uncheck "auto load saver", and then start scummvm; then my saves remain in SRAM and scummvm sees them. BUT, when I save in scummvm, QPC, navigate to my "scummvm-a.sav" file, press "A" to "load to SC", then start scummvm; that's when I lose my saves :cry:

For me, it's definitely starting to smell like a supercard issue more than a scummvm issue. There have been some issues with QPC saving reported on the scdev.org supercard forum recently:

http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... hlight=qpc

I plan to test QPC saving on some other games; it might be that the latest firmware update just broke QPC saving entirely. I'll post back if I discover anything. I know you're all on the edge of your seats.
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

As a test, I tried using QPC to save on "Yoshi's Island" (GBA) and I had the same problem. SRAM will not write to SD card after QPC; even though the save data IS still present in SRAM.

As a further test I tried running Scummvm on my old Supercard SD which still has firmware 1.63. In this case SRAM saving worked exactly as it is supposed to.

It definitely looks like this is a problem with the latest supercard firmware (1.7) and/or the supercard Lite. Or (less likely) it could just be MY supercard Lite that is on the fritz.

In any case it ain't a problem with scummvm; good job agentQ.
vrs

Post by vrs »

I've also got the 1.70 problems with SC lite. But as an added bonus my memcard gets corrupted every time! I'm hoping to find a 1.63 bin file. Otherwise we'll have to wait for a firmware or a Scummvm DS update :(
tetzlaff

Post by tetzlaff »

http://scdev.org/index.php?cat=downloads

Here is where you can get the older BIOS files. I needed to go back from 1.63 to get my own gba project to work. This whole SCSD thing has my interest now since my SDMicro card too fell victum to a corrupt save and gave me a big scare, as I thought it was shot. I am doing my own testing, and I found that the SD I/O source that supercard released on thier website does not seem to work under 1.63. I could get the SCUMM I/O drivers to work, and I am currently learning how to decode MBR and FAT records. Maybe the 1.7 bios needs the new I/O drivers and that 1.63 needs the old I/O drivers. If that is the case, its going to further complicate the SCSD save problems.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

With any luck, the Supercard SD will be able to save reliably with the next interim relase of ScummVM DS so you will no longer have to use SRAM/QPC method to save.

Of course, that doesn't help with GBA games or other homebrew.

I could stick a firmware version that works on the ScummVM DS site if it would help.
vrs

Post by vrs »

Access to the 1.63 firmware would be great! But the downloads on SCDev.org don't contain complete firmware only upgrades to the firmware. Using these cause SC Lite to give errors (like garbled menu) making it unworkable. It seems SC Lite owners will have to play the waiting game :cry:
tetzlaff

Post by tetzlaff »

I think you maybe right. Looks like they are always releasing upgrades from the previous version. I have not upgraded mine yet, its still 1.63. Because of the problem with saves to the supercard, I'm currently doing my own research into a different FAT library. No promises, but I have now successfully read and wrote to my SD card from the GBA using a supercard with 1.63 firmware. I am using the i/o driver from scummvm 0.61. After reading the recent posts, I dont think the previous problem was an i/o driver, but maybe a fat problem. However, my initial tests with the supercard i/o drivers that they posted recently may not be backwards compatible to v1.63, as it just locks up on my gba when I tried it.
ualla

Post by ualla »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I have a SuperCard Lite with a Pass Key and a 1GB MicroSD and I can't save in Monkey Island.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have firmware v. 1.63 (so I was told).

This is what I've tried (might help) and if anybody has a solution, I welcome it!

1)I first created the .nds file from ScummVM 0.61, which saved normally, until I turned my console off, at which point my saves disappeared. I tried creating the .ini file, but on the game bootup I got a black screen and nothing more.

2)I formatted my MicroSD and then created the .nds file with ScummVM 0.91 beta 6. When trying to save this time, the game crashed leaving me with a black screen. Creating a .ini file had the same outcome as before.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the great work by the way, this is an amazing project!

EDIT#2: After trying to get it to work for about a week, I just managed. I patched the game with the "moomshell" patch (I know, it was written to patch it, but the link led to another patch)

Cheers!
Pistol

Found a fix!

Post by Pistol »

For all those having the same issue (SRAM saves not working with Supercard firmware 1.70), I've found a workaround!

SRAM QPC saving is broken in firmware 1.7, as has been said. However, sinclair44 has written a program to allow you to get them working again!

Go here and follow the instructions. I can confirm that this works with ScummVM!

On an unrelated note, I too had the problem with gettting black screens when starting games. I had manually created the scummvm.ini file to try and enable SRAM saving. I found that I had to do the following:

1. Start ScummVM without a scummvm.ini file - ScummVM creates it for you. Games will start, but not save.
2. Now edit that file and add the [ds]forcesramsave=true bit
3. ScummVM should now start the games andsave to SRAM.

It seems that ScummVM didn't like something about my manually created .ini file.[/url]
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

an Easier Fix:

I just read on the gbadev.org forum that you can resolve this issue by simply booting into GBA mode when you use QPC.

It seems to work, though I haven't tried with scummvm.

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=45

[edit: okay, I've tried this with "Monkey Island 2" and "Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis". It works perfectly. I just remove my "superkey" before I cycle the power, then boot in gba mode.

scummvmds V0.9.1a
supercard lite
superkey
ds lite
kingston 512 microSD