Problems with the sound in Monkey Island Games

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cpfoxhunt

Problems with the sound in Monkey Island Games

Post by cpfoxhunt »

I have monkey Island 1 and 2 on cd (white label, not madness version), and am having problems getting the sound to work with either game on my psp. I don't suppose anyone here has managed to get it working? The version of Sam and Max which i copied directly off the cd seems to work brilliantly with sound, so maybe theres something Im just doing wrong.
Cheers
Cpfoxhunt
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

does anyone at all have sound on MI one and two on the psp then?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

cpfoxhunt wrote:does anyone at all have sound on MI one and two on the psp then?
I don't have a PSP but I think MI 1 has hardly any sounds at all, I think it's mainly doors opening and stuff like that. The main music / sound in MI 1 is from the CD music tracks (on the Monkey Madness version). I'm not sure what sounds MI 2 has. I'm sure someone else might know for definite.

Jimbob
clem

Post by clem »

MI2 is imuse-based (like a midi file that is changed on the fly)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

cpfoxhunt wrote:does anyone at all have sound on MI one and two on the psp then?
Yup, both work fine here.
kalu666

Post by kalu666 »

no music for me, only fx. i tried to make a .mp3 with name "track1.mp3" but don't work, the amiga versione of MI1 non sounds at all, no fx no music. very very bad! this game is the first game to be emulated correctly!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

kalu666 wrote:no music for me, only fx. i tried to make a .mp3 with name "track1.mp3" but don't work, the amiga versione of MI1 non sounds at all, no fx no music. very very bad! this game is the first game to be emulated correctly!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but both the floppy and CD version of MI1 work perfectly fine with music for me, so you must be doing something wrong.
Maybe try it on your PC first, or read both READMEs and the FAQ.
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

AFter overriding the sound settings to adlib, I get basic FX on monkey Island one - but no music (e.g. in the pirate bar at the start). Ill muck about with converting the sound tracks from audio - see what happens.
Cheers
Cpfoxhunt

EDIT: By the way, I got full sound in MI2 - seems a few files got corrupted during the transfer. Does the PSP version of Scummvm support me ripping the MI 1 tracks to ogg or mp3 and putting htm where it says to in the readme?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

cpfoxhunt wrote:Does the PSP version of Scummvm support me ripping the MI 1 tracks to ogg or mp3 and putting htm where it says to in the readme?
Yep, it supports both.
I'd recommend ogg.
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

Ah, thats what im doing wrong - ive bene encoding to a variable bitrate. Thanks for the help!