Selling games working with ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

carl_johnson

Selling games working with ScummVM

Post by carl_johnson »

Could I create a dvd containing several games supported by ScummVM to SELL it? How could I know if I can include a game without having legal problems? Thanks
Jimbob

Re: Selling games working with ScummVM

Post by Jimbob »

carl_johnson wrote:Could I create a dvd containing several games supported by ScummVM to SELL it? How could I know if I can include a game without having legal problems? Thanks
Hmmm, I would hazard a guess and say NO for most games supported by ScummVM. I think the only ones that you could possibly put on a disc to sell are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen BUT you'll probably be breaking the terms of their release as freeware.

So the shorter answer is no!

I'm sure one of the ScummVM developers will be able to give a better answer than this!

Jimbob
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Selling games working with ScummVM

Post by eriktorbjorn »

carl_johnson wrote:Could I create a dvd containing several games supported by ScummVM to SELL it? How could I know if I can include a game without having legal problems? Thanks
The only games that ScummVM supports that are freely distributable are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen and the licenses for them are very similar: you "may charge a reasonable copying fee" but that you "may not charge a fee for the game itself".

ScummVM itself is distributed under the GPL, which says that you "may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee". The Free Software Foundation have written a document on Selling Free Software that you may want to read.
clem

Post by clem »

also not sure what would be the benefit for the buyer when you can download ScummVM anyways? Plus you probably can't provide better tech support than this forum where the devs answer most stuff themselves.

Would be really cool if LA did a DVD with games and used ScummVM though - cash for LA with little dev work, recognition of Open Source to the masses, games for the gamers