Sometimes You Don't Need ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chas-g

Sometimes You Don't Need ScummVM

Post by chas-g »

Hello,

First let me state that ScummVM is GREAT & long may the work continue, but sometimes you don't need it when using Win XP.

If you want to install Broken Sword 1 & 2 on Win Xp without the need of ScummVM just go to this website for instructions http://simplebrokensword.free.fr/article01.html

I Installed both Broken Swords on Win XP (home) without any problems & they run great (so far).

On my Uk Soldout version of Broken Sword 2 it has an inbuilt fault that reqiures you to copy a file onto your computer BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE GAME. This file is dsetup.dll & is found in the DirectX folder on the disc. Simply copy & paste this file into your system folder (not system 32 folder).
You might prefer (like me) to use the original setup.exe rather than the Soldout setup (setup95.exe).

I also have Curse of Monkey Island & Grim Fandango installed.

The dig, Full Throttle & Sam and Max run directly from the disc (except for saves which are saved on your hard drive). I might add that some of these Lucas Arts games mention Win XP on the back of the box (updated versions?)

Indiana Jones Infernal Machine is "working" but plays up a bit e.g. after collecting something the menu is no longer available so I have to save using quick save (f5) then load the save to continue.

Hope this is of interest
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

You probably bought the UK re-release of DIG/FT/SAMNMAX/DOTT which DO work on WindowsXP. (I ordered FT&DIG 2 days ago via eBay)

However, the DOS-Versions of those games do have sound-problems without ScummVM. (I own them in both German and English).

I also bought BrokenSword 1+2 German in the Red Fly budget version, but always with ScummVM in mind.

The Installer of BS1 doesn't work for me on XP, but again, I always wanted to play them with ScummVM. I didn't fiddle around with the installer.
I wouldn't have bought them, if they weren't supported.

Edit: Could you provide me a link maybe, where to buy BS1+2(+3) ENGLISH in Europe (Shipping-Costs!)? Thanks!

Best regards

Joachim
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, this is known. Also you may run most of older games which ScummVM supports with dosbox and most of Humongous Entertainment titles are for Windows too. But native run as you describe is limited to Windows, and ScummVM is about portability, i.e. try to do that on your pocket computer or game console, not to say about non-Windows OS on your desktop.

Additionally ScummVM gives advantages such as graphics scalers, extended number of save games, speed (i.e. if you run with dosbox, which has processor emulator, processor reuirements are... erm... high), better sound support and also we run game from any platform (C64, Amiga, Atari, Mac, NES, whatever) on any supported platform. And last but not least, we even sometimes fix original game bugs which weren't fixed by original developer, and we give support for the games.

Eugene
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Hello joachimeberhard,

I had a quick look for the 3 Broken Swords & play.com seems reasonable with no shipping costs at all in the UK (where I live). See http://www.play.com/play247.asp page=search&searchtype=PC&pa=srmr&searchstring=broken+sword
On this page you can see that on the 2nd of December they are doing a double pack of Broken 1/2 for £4.99 although they are out of stock with BS3

BS3 is available on the Amazon.co.uk marketplace http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 08-3485533

Other than that try froogle (via google.co.uk) or kelkoo.co.uk
happy hunting
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I agree with sev, Although the may be able to run some games through Windows XP, ScummVM offers many more options and stability.

Simple fact of the matter is, if ScummVM can run the game in question, I use ScummVM and don't even try to let Windows XP run it as it has proven to me time and time again how well written it is.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Thank you!

I bought both games at play.com seperate (4.99 each), because the package so nicely fits to my german packages, which look the same.

My banks really going to kill me next month.

But I'm so addicted with Adventure Gaaeeiiiimmss!!!! :shock: :wink: :o
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:My banks really going to kill me next month.

But I'm so addicted with Adventure Gaaeeiiiimmss!!!! :shock: :wink: :o
You need to remember to find time to play all of these games though!!!!! It's no good buying more and more until you start playing and finishing some of them. I should know, I have a pile of Gamecube games to play and virtually zero time to play them :(

Jimbob
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

You're right.

I never really played either Simon or Broken Sword, although I own them.

But with HE-Games this is much different. :D :D

You don't need walkthrouhs or smart thinking, just relax and klick like maaaad if you want. :D :D :D :D :D

This is sooooooooo rewarding. :D :D :D :D :D
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Hello glidem,

Don't please anyone misunderstand my post. As I've said ScummVM is GREAT - one heck of a tool!! with lots of features/improvements. I do use ScummVM for my other less XP compliant games - Monkey 1/2 etc. And Loom (runs in ScummVM straight from the disc).

But faced with mucking about with cut-scene packs etc (BS1 & 2) in my oppinion I've chosen the easier route. Which so far works. Who knows when I start playing the game again in earnest it might go wrong further into the game & then I'll be back to ScummVM. Meanwhile I really should get on with playing BS3 as I completed BS1/2 a long while ago.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

@chas-g:

Thanks for pointing me to Play.com.

They have FREEEEEE shipment to Austria!
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

chas-g wrote:Hello glidem,

Don't please anyone misunderstand my post. As I've said ScummVM is GREAT - one heck of a tool!! with lots of features/improvements. I do use ScummVM for my other less XP compliant games - Monkey 1/2 etc. And Loom (runs in ScummVM straight from the disc).

But faced with mucking about with cut-scene packs etc (BS1 & 2) in my oppinion I've chosen the easier route. Which so far works. Who knows when I start playing the game again in earnest it might go wrong further into the game & then I'll be back to ScummVM. Meanwhile I really should get on with playing BS3 as I completed BS1/2 a long while ago.
Downloading the replacement video is hardly a major task though is it :)

I have all my games stored on my laptop and have copied all the files off the original CD's to the hard drive (using the ScummVM data list guide), compressing the audio to ogg (to save some space) and away you go :D

Then I dont need to search for the CD anymore or risk damaging the disk, plus I can enjoy quicker loading times, better graphics and adlib emulation.

I could not go back to using the original game with fear of it crashing, freezing and losing the enhancements ScummVM offers. It is worth making that little bit of effort to get the games copied over from the original disk, makes life great selecting from a long list of games and all on the hard drive.
kaysow

Post by kaysow »

just a random thankyou to the scummvmteam here. i just recalled how suddenly, sam&max stopped working for me, almost a decade ago. i bought a new one, in top notch condition, but i couldn't get speech then either. so i have two of it. only last year when someone at a forum pointed me towards this emulator could i play it the way it was supposed to be. and for that i am forever grateful =D