Monkey Island 2 does not want to patch

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ChineseFood

Monkey Island 2 does not want to patch

Post by ChineseFood »

I've recently purchased multi-floppy DOS version of Monkey Island 2. I am currently trying to run it with either Win98 or ScummVM and WinXP. I also have a Macintosh version I couldn't get to run (surprise) on either machine.

During the course of my previous (Probably irrelevant) topic,
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3181
I got to the point where I get the error:
(0:1:0x93A): script 130 not in room 108 at 8817225+39341 in file monkey2.001

I have tried this on my Win98 computer without ScummVM and get the same thing except with a low resolution text and only the "script 130 not in room 108 at 8817225+39341" part of the message.

I have also located a patch that is designed to fix this specific error on both the official website at:
http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/monkey-2.htm

And at an unofficial version of what I bet is the same thing at:
http://www.worldofmi.com/features/download/patches/

The patch seems to do nothing. Can anyone help me find a working version?
corpse

Post by corpse »

I may be wrong be it seems to me that monkey2.001 has been corrupted, so have you tried reinstalling the game. It may be that the floppy with that file may have become corrupted. If that is the case the Cd-rom version of the game is exactly the same, and not that expensive these days.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 2 does not want to patch

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've never heard of that patch before, but maybe you could use DOSbox to install and patch the game?
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

I was kind of hoping that since there was an official patch for the exact problem I was having, that it meant lots of people have had this problem and its not a corrupt file.

I have tried DOSBox, but did not mention it here because I thought it was beyond the scope of this forum. DOSBox does the same thing as my Win98 computer except on XP and I get the same error.

I'm not sure how to go about trying to install the patch using DOSBox.

If my file is corrupted is there any way to uncorrupt it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ChineseFood wrote:I was kind of hoping that since there was an official patch for the exact problem I was having, that it meant lots of people have had this problem and its not a corrupt file.
I don't know, but I haven't heard of it before. It would be interesting to know if the patch modifies the data files or the executable.
ChineseFood wrote:If my file is corrupted is there any way to uncorrupt it?
None that I know of.
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

Blast...

Well, there's no way I can convince my Mom to get me a third copy of Monkey Island 2, especially since she just paid way too much for a boxed set in good condition (with even the copy-protection wheel and magazine advertisement still included).

Am I allowed to ask for a copy of the monkey2.001 file since a copy was paid for, and the instructions tell you to copy the contents of the floppies to your hard drive in case they are lost?
clem

Post by clem »

ChineseFood wrote: Am I allowed to ask for a copy of the monkey2.001 file since a copy was paid for, and the instructions tell you to copy the contents of the floppies to your hard drive in case they are lost?
nope, as outlined in forum rule 0

sorry!

clem