Lifedrive installation

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tba

Lifedrive installation

Post by Tba »

I have no idea how to get it to work. I have all the files on the right places, Palm/Program/ScummVM/Games for game files and Palm/Program/ScummVM/Mods with .engine files inside, I downloaded freeware Beneath a Steel Sky, put it in right directory, hotsynced ScummVM-Frontend.prc to my LifeDrive, and when I run it, it opens a screen titled "Select an engine", and a list of games. When I select BaSS or any game, it always reports "Scumm VM engine file not found!" error.

What seems like most puzzling thing is that I can only tap OK od Cancel, there is no other menus, no Memory Card symbol or anything else like Start button, which I've seen people are talking about. I rly dont get it.

I tried just copying it to hard drive, Palm/Programs/ScummVM, without installing it into internal memory. Everything is exactly the same.

What is the catch??
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

When you sync'ed the frontend did you also sync the skin.pdb file? Make sure both files go to your device's memory not a cards. Most likeley when a new user is brought straight to the engine selcet screen its because there was either an error sync'ing the skin.pdb file or that it was forgotten.

Hope this helps :)
Tba

Post by Tba »

You were right about that one :)

But it kept me from playing reporting the same old "no engine" error, until I read another post
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1835
Is there a way to make it work normally??

This way I simply press Start with no game selected, and get the DOS-like menu, basically identical menu that pops on PC when using ScummVM, in which I can browse for files and when then it works.

Oh and btw - really great job you've done!:)

P.S. How do I use second mouse button?? I can only tap around, and it seems as it's an equivalent to left mouse click.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

From the frontend GUI you may want tap the memory card Icon and check to see what is selected. Im not sure as i currently have no experience with a lifedrive, but I have read that Lifedrive users can solve that problem by selecting "LifeDrive" instead of "HardDrive" or "builtin"

Generally the right click function is mapped to a hard key. On my E2 it is the 'Notepad' hard key on the bottom right.
Tba wrote:Oh and btw - really great job you've done!:)
Umm...thanks :) But really all of this is Chrilith's hard work and effort, I just try to help out as much as i can :) Thanks again Chrillith, You rock!
Tba

Post by Tba »

Well, there is an option for Lifedrive to be chosen, but I've been aware of that. No help there.

Anyhow, it's working the way it is. And the right mouse button is there too :)

EDIT: And another question - I got myself a boxed set of Lucas Arts adventures this summer, and since it's possible to play them on Lifedrive now - how do I convert them?? I'd really like to have all those games on my LD, playing when commuting and such.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

just wondering, wht are your entries when adding the game you are tryng to lauch?

For example when i run monkey island 2 i add the following

Entry Name:Monkey Island 2
Path:/PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/MI2
Game:monkey2
Engine:Scumm Games

I only ask as I had gotten a similar engine error back when i first started on PalmOS and it all came down to me forgetting to place a / in front of PALM :oops:

Also, this may be a silly question, but where do you have your games placed? Is it on the lifedrive itself or on a sd card?
Tba

Post by Tba »

Damn.

You were right :), I was stupid :P

But when I think about it, there was no actual way of knowing that was essentiall. Now it works clockwork. Yay!

I might even sit down and write a LD guide for ScummVM(busy atm, but after the exams), I see a lot of people using it ot play ScummVM games, and also it makes sence - LD has a great potential as a semi-gaming handheld, with it's huge hard drive.

As for my ScummVM questions left, the only thing I still don't know is how to get my games to work in ScummVM??
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Its funny you should mention writing a guide :) I have been putting together A PalmOS Readme/FAQ over the last month or so. The guide currently covers Installing scummvm for PalmOS, adding a game, enableing sound, device and game compatibility lists, And basic troubleshooting. One thing it lacks at the moment though is more device specific hints and tips. That being said, any documentation you (or other lifedrive users) cold provide about running ScummVM on the lifedrive would likeley come in very handy :D The livedrive is a pretty unique device as the majority of PalmOS handhelds cant even compare to the amount of storage memory provided.

Im considering posting the guide to the forums here (a la SirDave {really fantastic guide btw :) })to see if there is anything other users may want to contribute (treos are are another device im completely unfamiliar with)but first I wasnt to see what Chrilith wants to do with it (formatting etc.)

All that being said, back to your question :D

What game(s) is it that you are trying to play?

the add screen works like this

Enrty Name: (this is just what you want your game to be called on the menu)
Path: this is the path to your game
Game: this is the games id as used by scummvm, Ie: monkey island 2= monkey2 Day of the tentacle= tentacle
Engine: specify's which engine to use for which game (via a pulldown menu)

a list of game ID's can be found both in the standard ScummVM Readme in section 3.0 as well as on the ScummVM compatibility page. Alternately you can find out the ID by starting scummvm in direct mode (the method you were using earlier) and taking note of the ID when adding a game.

Once again, I hope this helps
Tba

Post by Tba »

I just managed to get Indiana Jones running. I tried to find those 3 files needed, as written on the page, but then I decided to copy all the files in /Plam/Programs/ScummVM/Games/Indy3 and it just worked:)

I thought I need to make a special format of files, specific to PalmOS, but it simply works with standard DOS files. Fabulous! :D