Audio Sync problems...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Majestyk

Audio Sync problems...

Post by Majestyk »

HI all,
I have a iPaq 3950 PPC and I've ported 2 of my Lucasarts games, Sam & Max Hit the Road and Full Throttle over to the latest scum version. However when I start the games, the voice and subtitles are out of sync with the actual video. Anyone know how I can solve this problem? I've wiped the PPC several times and gone thru just about every setting I can find and nothing seems to change a thing. Any suggestions?
SirDave

Re: Audio Sync problems...

Post by SirDave »

Majestyk wrote:HI all,
I have a iPaq 3950 PPC and I've ported 2 of my Lucasarts games, Sam & Max Hit the Road and Full Throttle over to the latest scum version. However when I start the games, the voice and subtitles are out of sync with the actual video. Anyone know how I can solve this problem? I've wiped the PPC several times and gone thru just about every setting I can find and nothing seems to change a thing. Any suggestions?
The most likely answer is that your Ipaq 3950 is getting pretty long in the tooth (mid 2002 running WinCE 2002) for the video demands being made on PocketPCs to run games like Full Throttle. On top of that is the fact that in order to play the increased selection of games that are possible now, ScummVM and PocketScumm can no longer be quite as 'lean & mean' so even games like Sam and Max now require more horsepower than 4-5 years ago!

Knakos will have a more accurate view on this than me perhaps, but I'm finding that the PocketPCs I use to test have to be more powerful than they were just a few years ago to avoid sync & slow-down problems.
Majestyk

Post by Majestyk »

Naah, I don't think that's the problem. Mine is running WinCE2003 not 2002. And I had it running fine on the unit with no issues. The only thing I did was transfer all the game data from a 512mb SD card to a 1gb SD card and thats when the issues began. When I moved everything back to the 512 card, the issue did not go away. The graphics actually run faster than the audio. I'm just not sure what happened to change things. My unit has a 400Mhz CPU and hasn't had any issues running scumm until this latest version. Maybe I need to go back to an older version or something. Again, any suggestions would be apprecaited.
Majestyk

Post by Majestyk »

A quick note of clarification - The graphics don't run faster than the audio, I meant to say that the graphics are ahead of the audio. So far as I can tell the audio plays at the correct speed but just about 3 seconds out of sync behind the video. Actual game performance is fine. There is no slowdown during hi graphics moments and in game audio is fine. It's only the movie cutscenes that are out of sync.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Well, your 'naah' notwithstanding, you might have considered giving us the rather important information upfront that a) 'the issues only began' with a memory card change and b) only the cutscenes are out of sync.
Majestyk

Post by Majestyk »

There was no criticizm intended in my 'naah' comment and I
did follow up with more info regarding the issue. I assumed
that someone else at some point in time has had audio sync problems in the past with the cutscenes and that the solution would be easy. This is the first time I have posted
for assistance in this forum and I wasn't sure how much info was necessary. You guys are the experts, not me. I couldn't really see any relation to the sync problems due to a memory card issue because I moved the data back to the original SDcard and experienced the same problem. I assumed I had messed up a setting in the pocketscumm application or that the application had made some change to the Windows Mobile OS that was causing the problem.