CD-check problem: BS1 on PSP

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

justicefreak

CD-check problem: BS1 on PSP

Post by justicefreak »

How do I get past the cd check when running Broken Sword 1 on my Sony PSP using SCUMM 0.8? I've copied all of the necessary game files over to the memory stick, but as soon as I start the game it tells me to "PLEASE INSERT CD-1/THEN PRESS A KEY," at which point nothing I do seems to make the game progress any farther. (Obviously, I can't insert a CD into the PSP...)

Any help greatly appreciated.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Ok, heres the directory structure of my Broken Sword working fully on the PSP.

VIDEO
MUSIC
SPEECH (With renamed speech files)

All the .clu files (apart from the ones in the SPEECH folder) go in the root of the BS folder along with SWORDRES.RIF . In the root of the folder should be 15 files and 3 folders (The ones listed above).

Be warned though the FMV is very, very choppy. However, the FMV will play smoothly without the ogg files; I guess decoding the mp2 and ogg files is a bit too much for the PSP in this build. Other than that, the game itself plays like a charm and at full speed.
justicefreak

Post by justicefreak »

Thanks. I added the files "CD1.ID" and "CD2.ID" also, and it works fine now.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

If any of you make it to Ireland then I'd greatly appreciate it if you could respond to this bugreport and tell me whether the bug still exists or not, thanks!
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Not played that much of BS, but when I do I'll let you know if I get that bug.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Sorry for offtopic:

I just wanted to know how it is to play those adventures on game consoles (like PSP, Dreamcast, whatever)!??

Isn't it quite "wrong" steering the mouse cursor with the pad? :shock:

Really, is there an alternate GUI for ScummVM on those things? If not, is it a pain in the a** to play them this way or is it quite acceptable?

What's with the some scenes in BS which need fast acting (like goat / Ireland)?
clem

Post by clem »

the reprogrammed versions of BS1 (GBA/Palm) have afaik a direct control system (ie you steer the character, no cursor)

practically impossible to implement that on a generic basis - ie how would you take an object you can't get near?

interestingly enough, some adventures got released for d-pad consoles (Maniac Mansion NES, Scooby Doo on Megadrive), and apparently they were playable for the average end user.