Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

trenaux

ScummVM setup parameters

Post by trenaux »

Could you explain what is the purpose of the "platform" setting that appears
after having added a game in ScummVM ?
Has this to be left as ScummVM has assigned it or do/can I have to change it
myself (when a game has problems for instance) ?
Has this setting any effect on ScummVM ?
Does it refer to the platform ScummVM is presently running on, or is it the platorm
where the game was originally designed to run on, (or anything else like) ?
TIA.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM setup parameters

Post by eriktorbjorn »

trenaux wrote:Could you explain what is the purpose of the "platform" setting that appears
after having added a game in ScummVM ?
Has this to be left as ScummVM has assigned it or do/can I have to change it
myself (when a game has problems for instance) ?
Has this setting any effect on ScummVM ?
Does it refer to the platform ScummVM is presently running on, or is it the platorm
where the game was originally designed to run on, (or anything else like) ?
TIA.
It's the kind of computer the game was made for, and as far as I know ScummVM will usually detect this correctly on its own when a game is added.

For many games, the platform setting makes no difference at all. For others, it makes a lot of difference since the game data was stored in different formats in different versions of the game.
clem

Re: ScummVM setup parameters

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:as far as I know ScummVM will usually detect this correctly on its own when a game is added.

For many games, the platform setting makes no difference at all. For others, it makes a lot of difference since the game data was stored in different formats in different versions of the game.
does it make sense to maintain that GUI option at all?
- game should be detected correctly (esp. with the md5-based approach) anyway
- users may accidentially break their lucasarts games by changing that -> removing the option eliminates (rare, I admit) support requests
- could still be changed through the ini in case
- currently clutters GUI

... or is there a single game which is behaving correctly and differently with more than one system?

just my twocents
clem

PS: I could add a tracker item, but there's no such thing as a "feature un-request" tracker :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

A feature request also covers removing things, so if you want to request it, do that there.

However, I don't think we should remove the platform param from the GUI. The auto detector is not perfect, so we do have to keep it as a setting in the config file, else some game variants won't be playable. But once we decide that we have to keep the platform config key, it seems like a bad idea to exclude GUI users from editing it -- that would leave people on e.g. handheld devices w/o the possibility to play certain games.

We could, however, talk about moving it to some kind of "Advanced Settings" tab, with a big warning: "Only change this if you know what you are doing!"
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Well, from what I remember, 0.9.0pre couldn't tell the difference between the mac and pc versions of Pajama Sam 1 (while I was testing it). But, a switch to the mac setting fixed up some parts of the game while using the mac version. I'm not sure if this has changed or not since then, though.