Trouble with CoMI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Axell

Trouble with CoMI

Post by Axell »

Hello people!
I'm having trouble with Curse of Monkey Island.
Whenever I get to the part when Guybrush is inside LeChuck's capsized ship(which happens after firing the cannon right after the beggining), as soon as I try to interact with anything in there I get the following error

ScummVM 0.9.1 (Oct 24 2006 11:00:13)
Console is ready
Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game.
Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and variables.
ERROR: (12:348:0x2089): BundleMgr: :loadCompTable() Compressed sound 2863 invalid ()

My computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
1Gb(2x 512Mb) DDR2 667MHz Memory
Intel DG965SS motherboard
Windows XP SP2

Any help? I really want to be able to play CoMI again, as it won't normally run on this computer and I used to run it fine on my old PIII back then... :cry:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Strange, I remember this game to be working fine with 0.9.0
I've tried it with 0.10.0SVN and it still works fine at this point you're referring to

Most probably you got a corrupt file. Try copying the files again from the original media (the first CD)

Since you're getting an error related with sounds, the problematic files could be many (i.e. that sound cound be speech, music or a sound effect, most probably it's related to speech though). My bet would be that you need to copy VOXDISK1.BUN from the CD (this one contains the speech in the first disk of the game). If that doesn't work, copy all the files from the first CD again
Axell

Post by Axell »

I tried copying all the files from the first CD again and that didn't work at all. :(
While at it, to check if there were any corrupt files I installed the game on my old PII laptop and it runs flawlessly!
The only problem is that the laptop's battery doesn't hold charge for too long and I don't have an AC cable so I'm stuck with playing CoMI on my desktop.
What could it be? No corrupt files(I think, game runs fine on the laptop).
Maybe a problem with my soundcard? How do I totally disable sound so I can check it?
Thanks for the quick reply md5! :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Axell wrote:Maybe a problem with my soundcard?
I doubt that. It's trying to read from a file - presumably musdisk1.bun or voxdisk1.bun - and it's expecting to find the string COMP (or is it PMOC? I forget which order the bytes are stored), and instead it finds... well, that part of the debug message appears to be an empty string, so at least the first (or last?) byte was probably a zero.
Axell

Post by Axell »

Is it possible to disable sound? Maybe that will help.. Or not, heh.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Axell wrote:Is it possible to disable sound? Maybe that will help.. Or not, heh.
I'm not sure if that simply mutes the sound, but still tries to decode it. For music, at least, since it uses music for some sort of timing in at least one scene.

That's probably why the game won't play at all if musdisk1.bun is missing, but won't care much if voxdisk1.bun is. (So that's one way of really disabling the speech.)