Sounds problems with Monkey Island 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AdamD

Sounds problems with Monkey Island 1

Post by AdamD »

Read a few similar problems but none are identical to the audio issues i have with Secret of Monkey Island on the PC using scummVM 0.9.0 and a Windows XP OS.

I have got a version with all the sound as mp3 and they are all labelled correctly as far as i know (track1.mp3, track2.mp3...etc). When the game starts you can also clearly hear the sound from the mp3 files. However, the playback is pretty poor. It is very crackly as if the sound was being played through an old wireless and skips around slightly. I have tried fiddling aimlessly with the sound settings but to no avail.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Adam
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sounds problems with Monkey Island 1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

AdamD wrote: I have got a version with all the sound as mp3 and they are all labelled correctly as far as i know (track1.mp3, track2.mp3...etc). When the game starts you can also clearly hear the sound from the mp3 files. However, the playback is pretty poor. It is very crackly as if the sound was being played through an old wireless and skips around slightly. I have tried fiddling aimlessly with the sound settings but to no avail.
I hope you mean you created those MP3 files from the original CD. There was never any version sold which included the music as MP3 files.

I assume you've already checked that this isn't how the MP3 files sound when played in a standalone player like WinAmp or similar. Perhaps this FAQ entry helps, but I don't run ScummVM under Windows myself, so I wouldn't know.
Smashed Atoms

Post by Smashed Atoms »

Had the same experience. It was recommended to me (and I now recommend to you) to convert the mp3 files to Ogg Vorbis format. Instead of track1.mp3, track2.mp3, etc, they would be track1.ogg, track2.ogg, etc.

There is a program called CDex that I found a link to in this forum, and it works like a charm. Rips them from the CD in mp3, and then you can re-encode them to Ogg. That should hopefully take care of your crackling/skipping.