Monkey Island 1 help - audio

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smashed Atoms

Monkey Island 1 help - audio

Post by Smashed Atoms »

First let me begin with what I have already done. I have looked in all the Readme files (ScummVM 9.0, 9.1, and the readme.psp). I have read as many post threads as I could find on this topic. I have utilized all that information to do the following:

downloaded the CDex program to rip the audio tracks from the Monkey Island Madness CD, put them in .mp3 format, renamed them all so that the first track is track1.mp3, second is track2.mp3, etc. and put them in the folder with the Monkey Island 1 data files.

The problem: I still can't get music or sound effects when I run monkey island 1 from scummVM PSP program. I believe I've followed all the instructions and suggestions, but it's still not working. The game itself runs beautifully... just no audio.

Can anyone please help me and either a)let me know what I might be doing wrong, and/or b)possibly provide a step by step process of what was done if they got it to work? I would really appreciate any advice offered. Thanks!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Strange, it sounds like you did everything right.

The first thing you should try is see if the same set of files works with the PC version of ScummVM to rule out a few possible errors.
Check and see if the audio works and/or if it prints anything useful in the console window.

Another thing to check is making sure the port is built with MP3 (libmad) support - I've always built the PSP port with both MP3 and Ogg Vorbis support, but it doesn't hurt to check anyway. You can verify this on the "About" screen in the launcher.

Btw. Using Ogg is recommended over MP3 in the PSP port, as there are have been some reports about occasional stuttering when using the latter (I've always tested with Ogg myself).
Smashed Atoms

Post by Smashed Atoms »

Checked the "About" screen, and it does support MP3. So I went with the tried and true "when in doubt, start all over." So I just deleted my ripped tracks, ripped them again, renamed them the same way and put them in the folder with the data files and now it works - go figure. :)

On another note, I see what you mean about the slight skipping/hiccups with the mp3 audio. I checked out the link from the downloads page to ogg vorbis, and they've got a good FAQ as well as ogg players. But I didn't see a ripping program that would put them in ogg format. Will CDex put them in ogg format? or am i stuck with needing an mp3 to ogg converter? Ogg vorbis site mentioned that the former (going to ogg from the source) is better than the latter (converting to ogg from mp3).
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Yes, CDex supports Vorbis encoding.
Smashed Atoms

Post by Smashed Atoms »

Just wanted to say thank you to both Joost and Kaminari for your help! Everything is working great now, and audio is perfect in ogg format.

Thanks again!