Monkey Island 1 CD (Madness) on Suse Linux 9.1: No CD music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

VirtualJuha

Monkey Island 1 CD (Madness) on Suse Linux 9.1: No CD music

Post by VirtualJuha »

Hi,

I have successfully compiled and installed the ScummVM 0.9.1 on my Suse Linux 9.1 but I can't get my Monkey 1 CD music working with ScummVM. The game itself works great and it has sound effects but no CD music. If I'll start ScummVM from Shell I'll get the following warning message when starting the Monkey 1 CD from ScummVM:

Looking for monkey
Trying to start game 'The Secret of Monkey Island'
WARNING: Couldn't open drive: Invalid CD-ROM drive index!

In according to this warning message I am using my ScummVM with an incorrect CD-ROM drive index and it may be the reason for my CD music problem. Well, I tried to modify the .scummvmrc configuration file with different cdrom=x settings but it didn't help.

So is there a bug in the ScummVM 0.9.1 version? Shouldn't ScummVM be able to play CD music straight from a CD-ROM drive (by the way my CD-ROM drive is a DVD drive) without needing to rip CD music, for example, into MP3 files.

Thanks

Juha
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Monkey Island 1 CD (Madness) on Suse Linux 9.1: No CD mu

Post by Raziel »

VirtualJuha wrote:Hi,

Looking for monkey
Trying to start game 'The Secret of Monkey Island'
WARNING: Couldn't open drive: Invalid CD-ROM drive index!

In according to this warning message I am using my ScummVM with an incorrect CD-ROM drive index and it may be the reason for my CD music problem. Well, I tried to modify the .scummvmrc configuration file with different cdrom=x settings but it didn't help.
Standard message, no need to worry, i get it too and have none problems
So is there a bug in the ScummVM 0.9.1 version? Shouldn't ScummVM be able to play CD music straight from a CD-ROM drive (by the way my CD-ROM drive is a DVD drive) without needing to rip CD music, for example, into MP3 files.
Nope and nope

You HAVE to rip the files in order to play the game with music
Not sure if the devs ever intented to feature real cd playback, but as ScummVM intents to play the games from HD, i don't think so
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 1 CD (Madness) on Suse Linux 9.1: No CD mu

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Not sure if the devs ever intented to feature real cd playback, but as ScummVM intents to play the games from HD, i don't think so
Playing it directly from the CD works for me, including the CD music. (In my case I use CD drive 0, which is the default.) But I'm told it can cause random crashes under Windows, and playing it from hard disk is, of course, a lot more convenient anyway.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Torbjorn

I stand corrected
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Under Windows, the crashes systematically occur when the game tries to access a data track when a CD track is already playing.

As I told many times, I'm convinced the problem doesn't come from Windows itself. There are many non-SDL emulators out there which perfectly support games with data and audio tracks (Magic Engine, Gens, Unz, Neko...). I don't know how the CD is handled in ScummVM -- probably via SDL, which seems to be the likely culprit.
VirtualJuha

Post by VirtualJuha »

I just tested the windows version of ScummVM 0.9.1 on Windows 98 SE and guess what? I managed to play the Monkey Island 1 CD version directly from CD with CD music! However, the ScummVM warns me not to play from CD because 'it may cause problems'.

Juha
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

VirtualJuha wrote:However, the ScummVM warns me not to play from CD because 'it may cause problems'.
That warning was added because of the number of bug reports we got about ScummVM crashing when entering the SCUMM Bar. Apparently there's some problem when both reading data and playing music from the same CD. At least under Windows.