Monkey Island pc speaker music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

smithstreet

Monkey Island pc speaker music

Post by smithstreet »

Firstly, no, this isn't a question about there not being music in monkey island. I have sound, that will do.

I have the original monkey island 1 and 2 floppies, and a 5 1/4" drive, and I managed to pull the game files off them a while ago. When I found out about ScummVM I was thrilled! Finally, the glory days of gaming are back!

But, no.

I want to get it running with the original sound working. And when I say original, I don't want the jazzed up CD audio or the crappy MIDI remix. Heard it, and it's not quite right. I want the original, crappy, 386 PC speaker bleeping. Does anyone know how to do it, or if there's tracks somewhere to be found?

Cheers.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island pc speaker music

Post by eriktorbjorn »

smithstreet wrote: I want to get it running with the original sound working. And when I say original, I don't want the jazzed up CD audio or the crappy MIDI remix. Heard it, and it's not quite right. I want the original, crappy, 386 PC speaker bleeping. Does anyone know how to do it, or if there's tracks somewhere to be found?
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the PC CD version of Monkey Island 1 has any other music than the CD audio tracks. You'd need the floppy version.

ScummVM can't play the real PC speaker, but for some games (including Monkey Island 1 but not Monkey Island 2) it can emulate the sound of it. I posted links to some examples in an earlier thread.

ScummVM can play the Monkey Island 2 music (PC version, at least) as MIDI or Adlib. Personally, I prefer Adlib, but I'm told MIDI sounds good when played on a Roland MT-32.