COMI - Non-English voice despite settings

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Merzbau

COMI - Non-English voice despite settings

Post by Merzbau »

I just installed COMI, and I played the game using the "<default>" language setting. I've got an English version of the game, but it seems the voices play in Spanish or Portuguese (I'm not sure which; I don't know the difference).

I went back and changed the setting to English, but I got nothin'. :( I even went into the config file to confirm it.

Oh, also, I'm running it on Mac OS X, but I can't see why that'd be a problem...

Part of me thinks it could be because of the first time I ran it. When I configured the options, I accidentally clicked "Portuguese" from the menu and loaded the game that way. However, wouldn't changing the language setting change the voice-overs?

The subtitles are in English, too, btw, and I swear that I have an English version of the game...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

So you swear you have the english version -- meaning it says so on the CD cover?

Frankly, the only way to get portugese / spanish voice output in COMI is when one uses the portugese / spanish version of COMI. Hence, you obviously have that version. Makes me wonder whether you downloaded it somewhere, and the original source was merely incorrectly labeled? :-)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: COMI - Non-English voice despite settings

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Merzbau wrote: Part of me thinks it could be because of the first time I ran it. When I configured the options, I accidentally clicked "Portuguese" from the menu and loaded the game that way. However, wouldn't changing the language setting change the voice-overs?
There are only a few games where the language setting has any effect at all. You can use it to choose the language of the subtitles (but not speech) of Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword 1, to pick the correct font in some of the really old LucasArts games, etc. For some games, it tells whether text is printed left-to-right or right-to-left. The only game I can think of at the moment where it might affect both text and spoken voices is Gobliiins, and that game has very little speech to begin with.

So that's almost certainly a Spanish or Portuguese version of the game you have there, and the correct subtitles should be in a file called language.tab. I would have thought the box or case the game came in, or at the very least the text on the CDs, should be a dead giveaway for what language the game's in, though...