PLEASE HELP: Day Of The Tentacle - No Speech During Gameplay

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LisaSimpson2

PLEASE HELP: Day Of The Tentacle - No Speech During Gameplay

Post by LisaSimpson2 »

I've been after Day Of The Tentacle for sooo long and now that I've finally got it the sound isn't working fully! Can someone please help me? The background music and sound effects are all working perfectly and there is even speech during the cut scenes and the opening credits yet when the gameplay starts and I have to start controlling it and clicking on objects, talking to people etc there is no speech and only the subtitles. How can this be? I admit I know nothing about sound drivers and all that technical stuff although I have tried selecting different options and messing around with the sound configurations but nothing changed and I'd rather know what I'm doing first so have set it back to the default and thought I'll ask on here. I've got the following files which I've heard you require to run this game:

MONSTER.SOU
TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001

I know the MONSTER.SOU one has something to do in relation to sound, also I think I read something about having to compress this file, is that correct? Do the above files need to be in a particular directory (mines are in the games directory, are they suppose to somewhere else such as the SCUMM directory perhaps)? And finally should the "Voice=0" value in the .INI file (the Sound Configuration settings) be changed to a "1" instead of a "0"? I have tried changing this and there's still no speech although I suspect this should still be set to "1" rather than "0", am I right? Anywho, I have no idea what type of sound card my computer has (how can I find this out by the way?) nor do I know anything to do with sound such as configurations or drivers etc although I am knowledgable in Windows so if someone could tell me what to do or which settings to try/check I could do that no problem. My operating system is Windows XP and I'm using the newest version of SCUMMVM.

I love this game so much and haven't played it for many years. It would mean sooo much to me to get the speech working so I can play and enjoy DOTT exactly how I rememeber it - it's just not the same with only the background music and sound effects during gameplay, it would be absolutely fantastic to have speech during gameplay too rather than just having the subtitles to read. Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I desperately hope you can help or have any suggestions? Thanks everyone.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: PLEASE HELP: Day Of The Tentacle - No Speech During Game

Post by Raziel »

LisaSimpson2 wrote:I've been after Day Of The Tentacle for sooo long and now that I've finally got it the sound isn't working fully! Can someone please help me? The background music and sound effects are all working perfectly and there is even speech during the cut scenes and the opening credits yet when the gameplay starts and I have to start controlling it and clicking on objects, talking to people etc there is no speech and only the subtitles. How can this be? I admit I know nothing about sound drivers and all that technical stuff although I have tried selecting different options and messing around with the sound configurations but nothing changed and I'd rather know what I'm doing first so have set it back to the default and thought I'll ask on here. I've got the following files which I've heard you require to run this game:

MONSTER.SOU
TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001

I know the MONSTER.SOU one has something to do in relation to sound, also I think I read something about having to compress this file, is that correct? Do the above files need to be in a particular directory (mines are in the games directory, are they suppose to somewhere else such as the SCUMM directory perhaps)? And finally should the "Voice=0" value in the .INI file (the Sound Configuration settings) be changed to a "1" instead of a "0"? I have tried changing this and there's still no speech although I suspect this should still be set to "1" rather than "0", am I right? Anywho, I have no idea what type of sound card my computer has (how can I find this out by the way?) nor do I know anything to do with sound such as configurations or drivers etc although I am knowledgable in Windows so if someone could tell me what to do or which settings to try/check I could do that no problem. My operating system is Windows XP and I'm using the newest version of SCUMMVM.

I love this game so much and haven't played it for many years. It would mean sooo much to me to get the speech working so I can play and enjoy DOTT exactly how I rememeber it - it's just not the same with only the background music and sound effects during gameplay, it would be absolutely fantastic to have speech during gameplay too rather than just having the subtitles to read. Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I desperately hope you can help or have any suggestions? Thanks everyone.
1. The files you have are all you need

2. You shouldn't mess with the .ini file unless you know what you are doing

Better add the game again, so that it is recognize correctly.

Start ScummVM, look for DOTT and "REMOVE" Game,
now click on "ADD" Game and switch (change) to the dir you have the data files in (i for one would always put them into a seperate subdir, so y<ou don't mess up with other games/data files)

Game recognized?
Click on the game to start and see if your speech is still gone

3. gfx card - no idea, not on a Windows system here, but i'd bet you could get in in Propertys/Hardware!?
fac

Post by fac »

LisaSimpson2 wrote:and there is even speech during the cut scenes and the opening credits yet when the gameplay starts and I have to start controlling it and clicking on objects, talking to people etc there is no speech
Hi

You must have the floppy disk version.
Only the CD version is full talkie.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LisaSimpson2 wrote:The background music and sound effects are all working perfectly and there is even speech during the cut scenes and the opening credits yet when the gameplay starts and I have to start controlling it and clicking on objects, talking to people etc there is no speech and only the subtitles. How can this be?
Sounds like you have the floppy version of the game. At least, I'm told that's how that version works.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

LisaSimpson2 wrote: MONSTER.SOU
TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001
If you could provide us with the size of the files we could nail that, because i have the CD version but also just the three files AND speech
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The file names in the CD and floppy version are the same, only the size of MONSTER.SOU is radically different (and perhaps the contents of the other two, to link to the appropriate speech files)
LisaSimpson2

Post by LisaSimpson2 »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate your help and please keep them coming. It would mean so much to me to be able to play Day Of The Tentacle again in it's full glory (with speech). Some of you have stated that I must have the floppy disc version although I'm pretty certain it's the CD version which I have.

As for the file sizes you were asking about looking in Windows Explorer they are - MONSTER.SOU (3.65MB), TENTACLE.001 (9.58MB), TENTACLE.002 (1.82MB). Although for some reason the file sizes in KB and also Bytes do not equate to the ammounts in MB or to each other (if you get what I mean?). Which is very odd and confusing, so I have just put the file sizes here in MB for simplicity but if you need to know the size in KB or Bytes (as they differ slightly) then let me know.

I don't know if this makes any difference but I looked in Properties/Hardware in My Computer, as someone had suggested, to find out what soundcard or whatever I have and I think the sound device my computer uses is SoundMAX. I don't know if this is the sound card or what (like I said don't know much about sound drivers and configurations etc). Knowing this then should the sound configuration for DOTT be set to a certain setting maybe?

Hope the above file sizes help you figure out if I have the correct required files. And if anyone else knows how to help get full speech during gameplay or have any ideas then please let me know. Also if you need anymore information to work out the problem I will be happy to help. Please help me crack this! I think this is a problem a few people have had with DOTT so you won't just be helping me but other people with the same problem too! Thanks.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Do a "md5sum your-dott-drawer" and post the numeric values to be sure which version you have...

althought stating from the size of monster.sou it might definitely be the floppy disk version

Of course, it could always happen that there was a problem copying the files from your CD, so why not simply recopying it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LisaSimpson2 wrote:MONSTER.SOU (3.65MB), TENTACLE.001 (9.58MB), TENTACLE.002 (1.82MB). Although for some reason the file sizes in KB and also Bytes do not equate to the ammounts in MB or to each other (if you get what I mean?). Which is very odd and confusing, so I have just put the file sizes here in MB for simplicity but if you need to know the size in KB or Bytes (as they differ slightly) then let me know.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the file sizes "do not equate to the ammounts in MB or to each other". 1 MB = 1024 KB, and 1 KB = 1024 bytes. Perhaps that's enough to explain it?

Anyway, 3.65 MB is way too small to be from the CD version. Mine is 256.5 MB. (Remember, there's a lot of speech to record to cover an entire game.)
LisaSimpson2

Post by LisaSimpson2 »

Ooops silly me! Yeah I forgot 1MB = 1024KB. For some reason I was thinking 1MB = 1000KB. DUH! Well that probably explains why the figures didn't add up then eh! (LOL)

You must be right about me having the floppy disc version too. I was sure it was the CD version and even SCUMMVM named the files DOTT (English/CD Version) or something like that. Looks like I'll have to buy another copy of Day Of The Tentacle off eBay or something then. The copy I have just now was already on my computer which I've recently started using again I just assumed it was the CD version. Thanks for your help everyone. Will need to buy a CD-ROM version of the game and see if that works.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

You must be right about me having the floppy disc version too. I was sure it was the CD version
Clearly if you're making that statement you've not installed it from either source :roll:
Will need to buy a CD-ROM version of the game and see if that works
Indeed you will! It's a great CD release - one of LA's best :)