Will we ever see this on a G6 Lite?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lemming

Post by Lemming »

u was right.i renamed the files from the beginning,and now i solved the problen.Thank u very much :D !
nobody22

saving

Post by nobody22 »

hi folks.

i have got scummvm running with my g6 lite, but i keep losing my game saves. how can i stop this from happening? first of all i was using windows explorer to put 'scummvm-a-widthdata.ds.gba' onto the card and then i tried renaming it to 'scummvm-a-widthdata.nds' and using the g6 u-disk manager to import it as a ds game, but either way i lose the saves and it doesn't remember the list of games. i have to manually add them every time. any help would be great!
baka0815

Post by baka0815 »

Read this thread maybe that helps with a g6 too.
jelbo

Post by jelbo »

There's a petition running to ask the g6/M3 dvelopers to release the source code for their products (at least the FAT reading/writing part), anyway, you can read it here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/m3g6brew/petition.html

Let's hope the G6 team release the drivers/source and we can enjoy full ScummVM DS support on the G6/M3 hardware :)
Vurtual

Did I order the wrong hardware?

Post by Vurtual »

Hi,
maybe I post this to early as I ordered a G6 Lite + Passcard3 a few days ago and it hasn't been delivered yet.

After seeing this video (funny that I found the link on Ron Gilberts Blog) I bought a Nintendo DS and ordered the hardware mentioned above. Playing my old favourite games with the Stylus looks awesome and I can't await to do it.

Now after reading this thread I'm a little bit afraid, that it is going to be a big problem.

Can any G6 Lite User confirm, that the games supported by scummvm DS work well? I read somewhere in this thread that a user didn't get sound. I don't necessarily need Talkie Versions but some sounds and the catchy music of Monkey Island are a must I think :wink:

@agentq: Is there a reason why Legend of Kyrandia 1 is not in the list of supported games? I think the plain-iconographic handling of this game (e.g. for reading a note you drag and drop the note on Brandon) would be perfect for the Stylus. However, thanks for your great job. I'm looking forward to future improvements :)
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

All non-talkie versions of games should work perfectly with music on G6.
Scandal_UK

ScummVM and G6 lite

Post by Scandal_UK »

That's correct, it's not even difficult to run ScummVM on G6 lite! I think most problems are from users who either don't read the instructions fully or they know very little about running software anyway.

The G6 lite will run all of the gamez as long as they're under 30MB - they run just as fast as they do with my other flash carts.
Vurtual

Re: ScummVM and G6 lite

Post by Vurtual »

Scandal_UK wrote:That's correct, it's not even difficult to run ScummVM on G6 lite! I think most problems are from users who either don't read the instructions fully or they know very little about running software anyway.

The G6 lite will run all of the gamez as long as they're under 30MB - they run just as fast as they do with my other flash carts.
Yes, I know, I wrote my concerns BEFORE I even got my G6 delivered. But it worked perfectly from the first try on.. :D

The problem that games may not exceed 30MB was because of the "fatlib-not-available-as-source-code-business", am I right?
Scandal_UK

Post by Scandal_UK »

It's a wierd one because the released source for G6 FAT doesn't contain the io_g6.c file. It only has the header and object files.

Whats even wierder is that neither does the included copy of Moonshell - which is supposedly the same version that comes with the G6...

Maybe if I get a chance today I'll try compiling that copy of Moonshell and see if it works - it's possible that the header and object files are enough - and the G6 stuff is elsewhere.

I haven't looked that closely at the source yet. AgentQ is a more than competent programmer and probably has had a proper look through already - so don't get your hopes up.

Looks like we'll just have to wait for the proper release of G6 FAT driver source.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The object file may well work as it is, but I won't be using it. ScummVM is an open source project, and therefore everything must have source and be able to rebuilt. Those are the rules.

As for techincal reasons, using precompiled object files would:
- Not allow me to know what the driver is doing
- Require changes to be made to the build process
- Not allow me to change the compiler or ABI used by ScummVM
- Not allow me to change the optimisation level of the driver
- Not allow me to fix bugs in the driver
Scandal_UK

Post by Scandal_UK »

Yeh I can see that now. I assumed that the getinterface could have been elsewhere in the code but it's not, is it?

Maybe they do expect people to use assembly - but without the source it isn't much use as you just pointed out.

It's wierd cuz I really can't see what harm it would do to release the source for G6 FAT, surely M3 is the more popular one anyway!

Anyway not much point in moaning now - apparently dozens of people are forever asking the G6 team without reply so it must be quite deliberate.

All they've done is alienate their users and probably damaged future sales of the G6 range. I'll stick with me other flash carts for homebrew I reckon.

After looking about I found that there are *loads* of fake versions of the G6 FAT library source so I'm thinking homebrew support for this is less and less likely...

ScummVM-DS is still a great app in ZIP mode!!
theli

Post by theli »

just recompiled scummvm-a with g6 support and it works fine :) (played s&m a little)
though only read support ...
so we may see this sometime in official build.. i think
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Unfortunately, there is no source for the G6 FAT code in the archive that the company released. Without that it won't be included in ScummVM DS.
theli

Post by theli »

no, agentq, i've used source versions from Puyo on gbadev
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=110700#110700
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Ooh - in that case I'll take a look at it.