Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

StubDoo

Help Compressing Broken Sword 2 Music on a Mac

Post by StubDoo »

I'm on a Mac, OSX 10.4.8
I'm using SCUMM 0.91
I've downloaded 0.9.0 tools.

What I'm trying to do is compress the sound files of Broken Sword 2, so they fit onto a 1GB PSP Memory Card.

I've left the Tools folder on the desktop. I've placed a copy of Carib1.clu in the tools folder and also put the Ogg Drop application in the tools folder.

I open Terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

/Users/stuartbarrett/Desktop/tools/compress_sword2 --vorbis Carib1.clu
This gives the following error:

Cannot open file: Carib1.clu

Any idea what I'm doing wrong please?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Do a

'cd /Users/stuartbarrett/Desktop/tools/' first. It's looking for the file in the current directory, not in the directory of the tool.
StubDoo

Post by StubDoo »

I typed (well copy and pasted, that's not an issue is it?):

cd /Users/stuartbarrett/Desktop/tools/
Pressed return, then:

I then get the following error:

This doesn't look like a cluster file
Quite confused as that file, Carib1.clu, is from the cluster folder of BS2. Most of the .clu files say the same :S

I've tried the exact same command but replaced Carib1.clu with speech1.clu and speech2.clu which gave this error:

sh: line 1: oggenc: command not found
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: oggenc --quality=3 --output="tempfile.ogg" "tempfile.wav" 
Last question, Terminal has the option of "New Shell" and "New Command"; Neither work, though I've been using shell the most, this correct?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

StubDoo wrote:

I then get the following error:

This doesn't look like a cluster file
Quite confused as that file, Carib1.clu, is from the cluster folder of BS2. Most of the .clu files say the same :S
To quote the ScummVM README file, Please note that compress_sword2 will only work with the four speech/music files in Broken Sword 2. It will not work with any of the other *.clu files, nor will it work with the speech files from Broken Sword 1.
StubDoo wrote: I've tried the exact same command but replaced Carib1.clu with speech1.clu and speech2.clu which gave this error:

Most of the ScummVM compression tools only know how to take the original sound files apart, and put them back together. The actual compression is done by invoking another program: lame for MP3, oggenc for Ogg Vorbis, or flac for FLAC. The error message is telling you that you do not have oggenc.
StubDoo

Post by StubDoo »

OK, thanks for that.
I thought I did have Oggenc.

When I googled Oggnec it gave me Vorbis' site, which in turn gave me Ogg drop.
I've already installed that app in the tools folder, and it also said it's put a component into Quicktime. I thought that was enough, evidently not :)

So I've got the actual app itself from Google, Vorbis-Tools for MacOS X, and again put the files in the tools folder.
Image I again get:

Guessing I've installed it wrong/ still not got the correct app? If so, can you please give pointers to what I need.
Thank you for the help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

StubDoo wrote: Guessing I've installed it wrong/ still not got the correct app? If so, can you please give pointers to what I need.
I don't really know anything about the Mac (well, I do, but that was System 4 through 6) so I don't know how much Unix heritage OS X is showing.

If we assume for a moment that OS X is close to Unix, it's quite possible that it will not look for oggenc in the current directory, only in the directories where applications are usually installed. Or maybe oggenc doesn't have the "executable" flag set.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Install DarwinPorts or Fink, they're packaging systems that make installing unix utilities like this a lot simpler.