sam and max audio problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

the unicorns

sam and max audio problems

Post by the unicorns »

my copy of sam and max has two different audio files, monster.sog and monster.so3 . when i play sam and max i see ERROR: starttalksound: SFX file is not open.
i believe that the correct file is monster.sou so is there anyway i can convert these files back or play them.
i can play the game by opening the menu and disabling sound but i'd perfer to play with the sound on.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: sam and max audio problems

Post by eriktorbjorn »

the unicorns wrote:my copy of sam and max has two different audio files, monster.sog and monster.so3 . when i play sam and max i see ERROR: starttalksound: SFX file is not open.
i believe that the correct file is monster.sou so is there anyway i can convert these files back or play them.
i can play the game by opening the menu and disabling sound but i'd perfer to play with the sound on.
Why would you need to convert the files? The only way you can get a monster.sog or monster.so3 file is by using the ScummVM compression tools on the original monster.sou file, so you already have it, don't you?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

So that just means that his "copy" comes from illegal source, not from original CD.

Eugene
the unicorns

Post by the unicorns »

sev wrote:So that just means that his "copy" comes from illegal source, not from original CD.

Eugene
no what it acutally means is that i have the original games on floopy disk which my brother transfered onto his PC (i don't have one and he lives far away) and then and then onto my PsP but i have a mac with no floopy drive and i didn't know how to play them.
sorry for the misunderstanding.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

the unicorns wrote:no what it acutally means is that i have the original games on floopy disk which my brother transfered onto his PC (i don't have one and he lives far away) and then and then onto my PsP but i have a mac with no floopy drive and i didn't know how to play them.
Well, either of the compressed files ought to work, assuming the PSP version supports compressed sounds. I don't have a PSP, so I wouldn't know. The floppy version of Sam & Max only has speech during the intro, though. At least, that's what I'm told.

Anyway, there are no tools for re-constructing the monster.sou file. If you need it, you'll just have to ask your brother to extract it. The one from the floppy version should be relatively small, so compressing it wouldn't gain you that much.