ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis macintosh? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis macintosh?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Muyfa666



Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 158
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis macintosh? 

Does the mac-version of Indy4 differ any from the PC-version? I'm asking because I'm trying to get a hold of it, and the mac-version is really cheap to come by.

 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clone2727
Retired


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 1592
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis macintosh? 

quote:
Originally posted by Muyfa666
Does the mac-version of Indy4 differ any from the PC-version? I'm asking because I'm trying to get a hold of it, and the mac-version is really cheap to come by.


I don't think so. I have both versions and they are very similar.
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Robo-X



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 24
 

The Mac version had better sounds and graphics than the PC version. The better graphics works only when you use the original indy app. The data files are more or less the same for both PC and Mac though and work just as well in ScummVM.

//Rob

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clem



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 2185
 

quote:
Originally posted by Robo-X
The better graphics works only when you use the original indy app.


that implies that the Mac version uses a superior scaler than ScummVM - can anyone verify that?
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 3282
 

quote:
Originally posted by clem

that implies that the Mac version uses a superior scaler than ScummVM - can anyone verify that?


Aaron Giles mentions on his SCUMM page that LucasArts used a scaler called "epx", but doesn't give any further details. I vaguely remember someone claiming it was pretty much the same as AdvMame2x, but I don't know for sure.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Robo-X



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 24
 

Yes the Mac version used epx for graphics and djm for sound as seen on this screenshot.



With epx on:



with epx off:



This is with running the original indy app from 1992. Smile

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Kaminari



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Paris, France
 

Yep... this is Scale2x alright. I remember playing The Dig Mac on my Amiga with such a filter.

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Herrscher



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 110
 

quote:
Originally posted by Robo-X
Yes the Mac version used epx for graphics and djm for sound as seen on this screenshot.


Why not make additional screenshots with ScummVM filters for camparison to see which one really is better?!?

BTW, how does the djm sound filtering stuff sound different? Any clues?


EDIT: Oh, I read "Sound Smoothing System" the first time... Embarassed

So if this is *just* a "Sound and Music System", this could also be the Mac version of a regular sound output system, nothing special, he!??


quote:
Originally posted by clem
quote:
Originally posted by Robo-X
The better graphics works only when you use the original indy app.


that implies that the Mac version uses a superior scaler than ScummVM - can anyone verify that?


Actually, it just means the original Mac app was superior to the PC one. Wink


quote:
Originally posted by eriktorbjorn
Aaron Giles mentions on his SCUMM page that LucasArts used a scaler called "epx", but doesn't give any further details. I vaguely remember someone claiming it was pretty much the same as AdvMame2x, but I don't know for sure.


That would match: The german guys from Tentakelvilla mention this:


quote:
Von der Originalgrafik mit dem EPX-Algorithmus von Eric Johnston bei LucasArts hochskaliert. Dieser Algorithmus erzielt ähnliche Ergebnisse wie AdvMAME2X von ScummVM, ist aber entgegen Gerüchten nicht identisch. Die Windows-Versionen haben zusätlich noch eine optionale Kantenverhältniskorrektur auf 480 Zeilen und benötigen daher zum Interpolieren Echtfarbengrafik (wie bei ScummVM).


-->


quote:
Scaled up from original graphics with the EPX-algorithm by Eric Johnston at LucasArts. This algorithm gets similar results to AdvMAME2X of ScummVM, altough it is not identical (despite the rumors). The Windows versions do have an additional edge-aspect-ratio-correction to 480 lines and that for do need true color graphics for interpolating (like ScummVM).

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Herrscher



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 110
 

BTW, why not just contact him and ask... Question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Johnston

Oops, this seems to be the wrong one... Wink


http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/profiles_eric.htm

This looks far better... Cool



BTW: SNES9X seems to have it: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/2763#changesContainer_link


quote:
WHAT'S NEW
Version 1.5 adds the followiing:

* Added EPX and hq2x filters.


They're GPL, right?! Cool
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Kaminari



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Paris, France
 

quote:
Originally posted by Herrscher
Why not make additional screenshots with ScummVM filters for camparison to see which one really is better?!?


EPX is the same thing as Scale2x/AdvMAME2x. They both look identical.

ScummVM with AdvMAME2x
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Herrscher



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 110
 

quote:
Originally posted by Kaminari
quote:
Originally posted by Herrscher
Why not make additional screenshots with ScummVM filters for camparison to see which one really is better?!?


EPX is the same thing as Scale2x/AdvMAME2x. They both look identical.



quote:
Originally posted by Herrscher

quote:
Scaled up from original graphics with the EPX-algorithm by Eric Johnston at LucasArts. This algorithm gets similar results to AdvMAME2X of ScummVM, altough it is not identical (despite the rumors). The Windows versions do have an additional edge-aspect-ratio-correction to 480 lines and that for do need true color graphics for interpolating (like ScummVM).



Mhhh... how can you be so sure about that?? Please take the time and do a pixel-by-pixel comparison... Cool Twisted Evil
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

Well, epx and AdvMAME2x / Scale2x are 100% identical.

I am absolutely certain, since I know both algorithms -- the one from the public source code, the other because it was at least once documented in a public place, namely in an issue of the MacTech Journal. Which I happen to own, it sits on a shelf a couple meters away from me.

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

To be a bit more specific: This is the June 1999 issue of MacTech, page 41. It names page 692 of the book "Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus", Hayden Books, 1995, by LucasArts' own Eric Johnston, as the source of the algorithm!

And as I just discovered, that article even is online, so you can check for yourself: http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.15/15.06/FastBlitStrategies/index.html

I hope this finally settles this discussion. BTW, i once also erroneously believed the two algorithms to be different. Never say an old horse can't learn a new trick Wink

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Kaminari



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Paris, France
 

quote:
Originally posted by Herrscher
Please take the time and do a pixel-by-pixel comparison...


If you take the time to compare my shot with the one from Robo-X, you'll see that they are absolutely identical.
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Herrscher



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 110
 

quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
And as I just discovered, that article even is online, so you can check for yourself: http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.15/15.06/FastBlitStrategies/index.html


Hehe, I found the same link when googling for the EPX stuff for my last post.

I just didn't post the link as I didn't read it yet, and didn't want to post spam.


Just being curious, why are 2 (in SNES9X 2 + epx = 3) scaler implemented in ScummVM, when they are EXACTLY identical?? Question
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page 1, 2  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge