games i would like to see supported by scummvm

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nicodemus82

games i would like to see supported by scummvm

Post by Nicodemus82 »

these are just a few games that i would like to be supported by scummvm someday..

curse of enchantia.

fable.

deathgate.

the gene machine.

guilty.

igor-objective uikokahonia.

the discworld games.

legend of kyrandia 2+3
clem

Post by clem »

is it xmas already, with people posting their wishlists? :)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Thankfully, those are "just a few games". Keep cracking, folks! *whip* *whip*

About Death Gate, I know from a very good source (me) that is works flawlessly in DOSBox.
clem

Post by clem »

... can I have fries with that?

sorry, I felt like a non-sequitur :)
noize

Post by noize »

I am curious what you are going to do to make this happen Nico?
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

I think it would be nice to have a place to maintain a list of requested games and their status. It would be very useful for people who wants to spend some time working on a new engine for ScummVM to have a list of wanted games and a few status words.

For example, there could be an entry for Innocent Until Caught with a comment about the forbidden reverse-engineering, there could be a list of commonly requested games that don't match inside of ScummVM, there would be an entry for Touche with a link to the work in progress...

I imagine it like the game compatibility list but it might be integrated in the Engines wiki page.

Lately I've been thinking about trying to reverse-engineer a graphical adventure, but I don't know which are good candidates (which would be easily accepted in ScummVM and where there are no legal difficulties).

It's just a proposal. What do you think about it?
clem

Post by clem »

generally devs start to work on games they're interested in themselves... at least I would do it that way :)
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

The thing is that I would like to know if I'll waste my time trying to RE a game that doesn't have a chance to go into ScummVM. It would also be nice to know which other projects are going on out there or what are future plans so we can join efforts on future engines.

For example I'd like to know if Sierra SCI games are good candidates. When AGI entered ScummVM, I saw in some comments that there was no intention to do the same with SCI. What's the reason? Lack of time/manpower? Or isn't it inside the scope of the project? (I think it should be) Would you accept doing a FreeSCI import like you did with Sarien?
clem

Post by clem »

even if a module isn't accepted in ScummVM nothing keeps you from forking off your own project from it - I think the Flashback engine was originally done as a ScummVM engine and later changed to REminiscence?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Regarding FreeSCI -- this has been answered again and again on this forum and elsewhere. Use the "search" feature to find out.

Other than that, I can just repeat what clem said: If you *can* RE a game, just do it. Being part of ScummVM is by no means a necessary condition to do so, as many projects out there prove. And being part of ScummVM also does *not* ensure you get additional manpower on your effort -- not at all. Sure, you may gain the benefit from the existing infrastructure. But since it is GPL, you are free to use it anyway.

The thing is, in the end REing a new adventure engine is a major effort. Either you can do it, or you can't. And either you are interested in doing it (usually because you are interested in that game), or you aren't. No Wiki will change that, IMO.
Del

Re: games i would like to see supported by scummvm

Post by Del »

Nicodemus82 wrote:curse of enchantia.
I'm ridiculously busy at the moment but I try to put in a few hours whenever I have time to get the project closer to something that works. But yeah, someone is working on this, but it's way out in the future in terms of an actual scummvm/standalone engine.

If you're working on something yourself I'd be happy to compare notes.
Nicodemus82

Post by Nicodemus82 »

hey guys this is only my "wishlist" i know it will probably be a long time before we see any of these supported but i just wanted to see if anyone was already working on any of them.. ive been having so much fun playing all my old lucas arts games especially on my psp i actually play them more than the actual psp games i own so i cant wait for more games to be supported.. thanks for all the work you guy's have done with all the games that are already supported as it's much appreciated.if i knew anything about working on this kind of thing i would gladly help but sadly i dont know anything. yeah, thanks Kaminari i'll try death gate in dosbox
oh and thanks Del i'm happy to hear that someone is working on curse of enchantia..
so thanks again to all the people who have worked hard on getting some really great games supported and to those who are still working on others. keep up the great work...
parapente

Post by parapente »

jvprat wrote:I think it would be nice to have a place to maintain a list of requested games and their status. It would be very useful for people who wants to spend some time working on a new engine for ScummVM to have a list of wanted games and a few status words.

For example, there could be an entry for Innocent Until Caught with a comment about the forbidden reverse-engineering, there could be a list of commonly requested games that don't match inside of ScummVM, there would be an entry for Touche with a link to the work in progress...

I imagine it like the game compatibility list but it might be integrated in the Engines wiki page.

Lately I've been thinking about trying to reverse-engineer a graphical adventure, but I don't know which are good candidates (which would be easily accepted in ScummVM and where there are no legal difficulties).

It's just a proposal. What do you think about it?
Yes I think that would be nice. Having a page with all games that could be RE for scummvm and of course info for games that won't be RE for whatever reason. A "developer wanted" status could be added for games that noone is working at the moment so that developers who would be interested in that game could try to work on a new engine.
clem

Post by clem »

parapente wrote: Yes I think that would be nice. Having a page with all games that could be RE for scummvm and of course info for games that won't be RE for whatever reason. A "developer wanted" status could be added for games that noone is working at the moment so that developers who would be interested in that game could try to work on a new engine.
http://rewiki.regengedanken.de/