BASS completely liberated (?)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GUN

Post by GUN »

Herrscher wrote:BTW: ScummVM <-> Original EXEs

Is there any possibility that someone could write a "savegame converter", i.e. that I could play on an oldskool PC at home under DOS 6.2 but later get the savegames on a USB stick for use on a modern ScummVM laptop?

Or are the ScummVM savegames (or the originals for that matter) much of a hack, and it would be quite enormous work to do something like that?! :?:

i think there is no much interest for that ..

ans -> ScummVM isn't .. i think , 'cause SchummVM isn't compatible ScummVM .. it differs by Verison
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

I think its because ScummVM stores the savegame in a completely different way as BASS or any of the supported games.

As far as I understand, ScummVM savegames are not even comparable to the original savegames.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Yes, but the internal state_vars of the game, i.e. X/Y coordinates of player, inventory objects at hand, etc., must be the same in ScummVM and EXE.

So then, someone should "just" apply the ScummVM loading routines for a ScummVM savegame, and then dump it in original-EXE-format.

Is there really no desire for that?
At least the fact that some ScummVM versions are incompatible... I mean, the coders know how they did save in ver 0.6.x, why not use a "legacy loader" for supporting loading 0.6.x-savegames in 0.8.0 for example!?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Herrscher wrote:So then, someone should "just" apply the ScummVM loading routines for a ScummVM savegame, and then dump it in original-EXE-format.

Is there really no desire for that?
Let us know when you've figured out what the original savegame format looks like. :twisted:
Herrscher wrote:At least the fact that some ScummVM versions are incompatible... I mean, the coders know how they did save in ver 0.6.x, why not use a "legacy loader" for supporting loading 0.6.x-savegames in 0.8.0 for example!?
ScummVM can usually load savegames from older versions of ScummVM already.