Errors in BS1 Demo

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rafael_GC

Errors in BS1 Demo

Post by Rafael_GC »

Fellows from ScummVM, I'm writing to report two glitches in “Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (demo)”.

In this scene, when I talk to Moue about the card, the game freezes and crashes...

Now in this scene, when I left-click the old man, the game also crashes ScummVM.

==================================================================

Another “issue” in this demo version is that I can't manage to emulate the intro videos, the ladder videos and the final credits. Why?

The video files are:

INTRO.SMK
SEWER.SMK
ENDDEMO.SMK

I hope you can light me a candle in those problems.
Thanks for the attention
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Errors in BS1 Demo

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Rafael_GC wrote: Another “issue” in this demo version is that I can't manage to emulate the intro videos, the ladder videos and the final credits. Why?

The video files are:

INTRO.SMK
SEWER.SMK
ENDDEMO.SMK
ScummVM does not support the Smacker video format. For the whole game, there are re-encoded cutscenes that can be downloaded from the ScummVM web page, but I don't know how they were made. I don't know if anyone has made one for the demo, though.

(In the development version of ScummVM, it should be possible to use DXA movies, so there the re-encoding is done the same was as for The Feeble Files.)

As for the crashes, I don't know. I could reproduce one of them, and saw that it died in uncompressSpeech(). Sounds are compressed differently in the demo than in the full game, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'd suggest that you file a bug report. The Broken Sword 1 maintainer has been busy lately, and bug reports in the forum tend to be forgotten pretty quickly.
clem

Re: Errors in BS1 Demo

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:For the whole game, there are re-encoded cutscenes that can be downloaded from the ScummVM web page, but I don't know how they were made. I don't know if anyone has made one for the demo, though.
there used to be a batchfile around which I also used to do the german cutscenes; basically it would use binkconv to convert the smk to uncompressed avi, then use some commandline mpeg encoder to create the mpg file, and do something similar with the audio part

might be worthwhile to check if the videos are different from the full version at all, else the demo users could just download the full version videos I guess? (some megabyte overhead though)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've made some changes which should keep the Broken Sword 1 demo from crashing. The changes should appear in the next SVN snapshot, and in the upcoming ScummVM 0.9.1.

Also, shortly after this thread was started, Kirben uploaded cutscene packs for the Broken Sword demos. However, since they are DXA movies they will not work with 0.9.x. (DXA support will probably not be supported in 0.9.1.)