No SoundFX / Voice on Cingular 8125 for Indy FOA, only Music

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

end1r

No SoundFX / Voice on Cingular 8125 for Indy FOA, only Music

Post by end1r »

Hi all,

I have ScummVM installed on my Cingular 8125 pocketPC/phone running Windows Mobile 5.

I have a very old indy FOA CD which have taked the files from.

I have read multiple forums, and Sir Daves Manual v3, but havent been able to create a monster.so3 file which works for SoundFX and Voice.

I have used various combinations of extract.exe and compress_scumm_sou with pre and post Lame v3.92 encoders to encoder the monster.sou file to monster.so3. None work completly.

I am able to start ScummVM and the game runs fine. I can hear the Music at all times but, no soundFX or character voices. The only time I ever hear a voice is when the DR is stealing the statue I hear him say "Dr. Uberman" which I dont even think is at the right spot.

Can someone please help me encode the monster.sou file to work with my pocketPC?

I do have this all working on my home PC with ScummVM and monster.sou with NO PROBLEMS. This is where I am getting my source files from so I dont think there is a problem there.

Thanks in advance and Keep up the good work ScummVM is GREAT!!!
end1r

Fixed - OGG work around

Post by end1r »

Hi all,

I found this (http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1665) post which explained the same problem, the Cingular 8125 is an HTC wizard.

Converting the sou file to OGG worked, but I was unable to copy the 65 MB OGG file to the phone, maybe file size/FAT limitations? I created a ZIP file (45MB) and copied that over, then extracted it on the phone.

I ran ScummVM and it worked.

It would be nice to have the 0.9.0 version work with an SO3 file. Any update on the bug status?

Thanks again!
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Being unable to copy over a large file is not good, there is no filesystem limitation. If you are using 0.9.0a there should be no problem with SO3, most probably you're doing something wrong during compression, just can't place it right now :-)
end1r

Post by end1r »

[quote="knakos"]most probably you're doing something wrong during compression, just can't place it right now :-)[/quote]

I am following Daves page. I tried using extract.exe (pre 0.9.0) with pre versions of lame v3.92 and post versions. Also tried using compress_scumm_sou.exe with the same pre and post lame versions.

All files encoded with no errors. Both using the --mp3 and also tried --abr options, both encoded but didnt work. The game would _rarely_ play sporatic voice clips at the wrong time, so I know the encoding works. I think it has something to do with the encoding messing up the indexes and the game unable to find them.

Encoding the SOU file to the OGG file took alot longer, and also had no errors. Once I got the file on the MiniSD card, I just delted the mp3 and extracted the SOU and ran ScummVM and it all works.