DOTT crash when USE Stamp with Contract

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

angry_dragon

DOTT crash when USE Stamp with Contract

Post by angry_dragon »

Hi all,

I've been playing "Day of the Tentacle" (or DOTT) on a PC for a few days now; no problems.

Today I tried to solve a puzzle by combining the "Pony Express stamp" with the "Contract" to get my 2 million dollars for the diamond. (players will know what I'm talkin bout).

The instant I USE the stamp on the contract, with either of the characters, SCUMMVM shuts down instantly.
To be fully honest, it's not a legal copy. I know, I know... shame on me...

All ideas and/or suggestions more then welcome.
Matt

Re: DOTT crash when USE Stamp with Contract

Post by Matt »

angry_dragon wrote:To be fully honest, it's not a legal copy. I know, I know... shame on me...
In this case I suggest you get a legal copy of DOTT. Try eBay, for instance.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: DOTT crash when USE Stamp with Contract

Post by eriktorbjorn »

angry_dragon wrote:To be fully honest, it's not a legal copy. I know, I know... shame on me...

All ideas and/or suggestions more then welcome.
Buy a legal copy and see if you can still reproduce it, perhaps? For several reasons, we can't provide support for pirated copies of games.

If you can reproduce it with a legal copy, please file a bug report. There have been some rumors about a crash like that.
angry_dragon

Post by angry_dragon »

I was affraid of that... :lol:

Tnx for taking the time to answer anyway.

Cheers
Paulio

Post by Paulio »

I have a legal copy of DOTT and I'm having the same problem with Scumm crashing when I use the stamp with the contract. I'd appreciate any help you could give.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Paulio wrote:I have a legal copy of DOTT and I'm having the same problem with Scumm crashing when I use the stamp with the contract. I'd appreciate any help you could give.
As said above, you should file a bug report describing the problem.
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

If ScummVM dissapears without any message its surely a script error. I'm going to check it myself.
angry_dragon

Post by angry_dragon »

Weirdest thing: if you have the contract signed by the professor BEFORE you use the stamp on it, the game doesn't crash... :D
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

angry_dragon wrote:Weirdest thing: if you have the contract signed by the professor BEFORE you use the stamp on it, the game doesn't crash... :D
Thats extreamly odd its never crahed with me oh well :P
timohepolis

Post by timohepolis »

Weirdest thing: if you have the contract signed by the professor BEFORE you use the stamp on it, the game doesn't crash...
hi!
i´m german and i have the same problem. i tried both things:
1. use the stamp on contract without signature
2. use the stamp on contract with signature

in both cases scummvm crashes back to desktop!

pls help me

thx
timohepolis

edit: i use scummvm 0.9.0
edit2: i use a legal german retail version
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

timohepolis wrote: i´m german and i have the same problem. i tried both things:
1. use the stamp on contract without signature
2. use the stamp on contract with signature
I know Fingolfin made a change earlier today which could possibly affect this problem. It would be helpful if you could try tomorrows SVN snapshot, assuming you're using an operating system for which there is a daily snapshot. (E.g. Windows.)
timohepolis

Post by timohepolis »

which SVN snapshot should i try for win32? source code bzipped or gzipped?
how do i use it?
sorry, i´m new..... :?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

timohepolis wrote:which SVN snapshot should i try for win32? source code bzipped or gzipped?
how do i use it?
sorry, i´m new..... :?
The ScummVM downloads page has a section called Subversion Builds. One of them - the only one that's updated regularly, I believe - is the Win32 Daily Snapshot. If you're using Windows, that one should work.

A "snapshot" means (in this case) that it was built from the development version of of the ScummVM source code. It usually works well, but it's not as well tested as the stable release. Occasionally, it's horribly broken.

The source code that you found is the human-readable (sort of) version of ScummVM. It has to be run through a compiler to produce an executable program, so it's only really useful if you're a ScummVM developer. Or just interested in seeing how things work, I suppose.

Gzip and bzip are two different ways of compressing files. While not technically correct, for all practical purposes you can think of them as ZIP and RAR archives.
timohepolis

Post by timohepolis »

The ScummVM downloads page has a section called Subversion Builds. One of them - the only one that's updated regularly, I believe - is the Win32 Daily Snapshot. If you're using Windows, that one should work.
thanks.... first i´ve tried this site: www.scummvm.org/daily/

so i asked for the source code an bzipped/gzipped...

ok, i´m going to try the installer-version of "daily snapshot".... i´ll report the result ;)

best regards
timohepolis

PS: really bad bandwidth: 0,5 kb/s (for germans) ;)
timohepolis

Post by timohepolis »

THATS IT! it works!

with the newest daily snypshot

thx for your help! :D :D :D :D