Doesn't like the VGA Talkie Loom anymore.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ken52787

Doesn't like the VGA Talkie Loom anymore.

Post by ken52787 »

I have my Loom folder setup so that it only has the LFL files and the track1.ogg of the CD audio. ScummVM 0.7 had no problems playing this at all.

Now, since I updated to 0.8, when I select the Loom folder, it gives me two options to choose from, but both just say Loom. No matter which I pick, it registers as Loom (English (US)/DOS). When I go to play it, not only does it not play the audio, but it reverts back to the EGA graphics.

I've tracked down a version of 0.7.1 and it still plays the game fine. I even left the config the same after using this so that version 0.8 sees it how 0.7.1 detected it (256 color CD version) but still no luck.

Can anyone hlep me out?
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

sure, you are using the unmodified game? There are some kind of patches floating around in order to support other languages than english in this game. Maybe you applied such a patch?
Patched games are not directly supported by ScummVM 0.8.0. See the posts regarding "target_md5" in this forum. That could be a solution for this problem.

regards

Frank
ken52787

Post by ken52787 »

Weird, I checked the 000.lfl file and the md5 matched the CD version listed on http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=md5 exactly. But I tried adding target_md5 to the ini file anyway, and now the game works properly.

Thanks for the help :D

Since the md5 matched, could this be a bug? Should I file a report or something?
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Hm, I cannot reproduce this.

Are you sure you use the ENGLISH version of the game?

As of ScummVM 0.8.0 all english DOS versions (16&256) of LOOM register as "Loom (English (US)/DOS)".

Best regards

Joachim
ken52787

Post by ken52787 »

This is indeed an unmodified English version.

When adding the game, it comes up with two options, both simply say "Loom". I've tried both, and neither work like the Cd version. It plays and looks like the EGA version.

I've tried both the 0.8.0 version on the main page, and also the 0.9.0 CVS.

Adding the target_md5=5d88b9d6a88e6f8e90cded9d01b7f082 line fixes the problem.

Here is a screenshot of the md5 of 000.lfl:
Which matches up with: Talkie/CD DOS en 5d88b9d6a88e6f8e90cded9d01b7f082

If other ppl aren't getting this problem, perhaps its something weird with my PC.
Preyer

Post by Preyer »

I think I have a little related problem with Loom also. I own the disket-version of the game and found out a few days ago that Underdogs is (legally?) sharing not the game, but the files that should update the disket-version to the cd-rom-version (with a notification that a illegal version would not work with them).

I put the files in to the Loom directory, but even adding the game again to ScummVM won't make the better version work - I think it is the same problem you're experiencing. It would be nice to get a solution to this problem.

(oh silly me, should have read the readme... :/)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ken52787 wrote:When adding the game, it comes up with two options, both simply say "Loom". I've tried both, and neither work like the Cd version. It plays and looks like the EGA version.
This seems very odd to me. Surely the data files for the CD version do not contain the text and graphics from the floppy version, so I don't see how it could show the 16-colour graphics.

Unless you're keeping the data files for both versions of the game game in the same directory. That might be a good way of confusing ScummVM...
mat69

Post by mat69 »

Just interestd: So it is not possible to patch the German LOOM shipped with the Ten Adventures pack to the 256 colors version with German subtitles (text)? :(
Because I patched it but now no sound is played and all the texts are in English.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Well you could patch the patched CD version of loom again to german.

I don't know if it's allowed to post links to patches here.

Best regards

Joachim
mat69

Post by mat69 »

Thank you! Managed it out (finding the patch) on my own. :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

joachimeberhard wrote:I don't know if it's allowed to post links to patches here.
Yes, as far as they don't contain copyrighted game data, i.e. are true patches which are useless without originals.

Eugene