ubuntu spport?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

confucius

ubuntu spport?

Post by confucius »

Hello guys!

It is really great that you added so many ports with 0.80 but is it possible that you add a ubuntu port in the (rear) future?

I try to install scummvm_0.8.2-0.sarge.1_i386.deb failed.

That would be really fantastic especially because of the stick you have.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Scummvm is already in the Ubuntu repository, and should work fine :). Or it was a couple of months ago at least, should still be there.

You may need to add 'universe' to the repository branches checked in /etc/apt/sources.conf before you can get it though.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

AFAIK, the version of ScummVM in the repository is 0.8.0. Is there any chance that it gets updated to 0.8.2 ? And then updated in the future when new versions come out ?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

abelthorne wrote:AFAIK, the version of ScummVM in the repository is 0.8.0. Is there any chance that it gets updated to 0.8.2 ? And then updated in the future when new versions come out ?
Dapper Drake (the newest Ubuntu version) just went into release mode, so the package versions will stay the same (barring critical bugfixes, and I don't think scummvm qualifies).

Presumably once they get their next development version on the road, the packages will start getting upgraded again.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

I'd like to install ScummVM 0.8.2.

I've just switched to Linux (Ubuntu Dapper Drake) and am not familiar with the way Linux works yet. Although I used Linux years ago as a student, using Windows since has made me forget quite a lot of "good use of an OS" habits. :wink:

Well. While trying to install ScummVM from the Debian package, I get an error message saying that a dependency can't be satisfied : libFLAC 6. But libFLAC 7 is installed on my system.

Before I continue, I'd like your advice / explanations :
- doesn't ver. 7 of libFLAC include all fonctions of ver. 6 (and thus, if so, I can install ScummVM 0.8.2 without paying attention to this dependency error message) ?
- if I install libFLAC 6 while I already have ver. 7, will it lead to incompatibilities in any way ?
- is ScummVM compiled using a specific version of libFLAC and can't use a newer one ?
- do I have to compile my own version of ScummVM from my system, so that it will use libFLAC 7 ?
cde

ScummVM 0.9.0 on Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake

Post by cde »

Hi

I got ScummVM 0.9.0 working on Dapper (Ubuntu 6.06), thought you might want some links :)

The forum that helped was this...
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205289
...and the file I used was this...
http://www.freefilehoster.com/uploads/1 ... per.tar.gz

Read the posts to find out how to get the new theme, and don't worry about the warning you'll get saying "you are advised to use the version in the repositories" or something like that.

I had installed it from the repos and didn't remove it before the upgrade, so just download and go!
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Got it from the Ubuntu forums a few days ago and it sure works fine.

Maybe the .deb package and instructions should be made available from the ScummVM website, as I guess the package will not be available forever (as it's hosted on freefilehoster.com) ?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

abelthorne wrote:I'd like to install ScummVM 0.8.2.

I've just switched to Linux (Ubuntu Dapper Drake) and am not familiar with the way Linux works yet. Although I used Linux years ago as a student, using Windows since has made me forget quite a lot of "good use of an OS" habits. :wink:

Well. While trying to install ScummVM from the Debian package, I get an error message saying that a dependency can't be satisfied : libFLAC 6. But libFLAC 7 is installed on my system.

Before I continue, I'd like your advice / explanations :
- doesn't ver. 7 of libFLAC include all fonctions of ver. 6 (and thus, if so, I can install ScummVM 0.8.2 without paying attention to this dependency error message) ?
- if I install libFLAC 6 while I already have ver. 7, will it lead to incompatibilities in any way ?
- is ScummVM compiled using a specific version of libFLAC and can't use a newer one ?
- do I have to compile my own version of ScummVM from my system, so that it will use libFLAC 7 ?
Installing a package built for another distro (Ubuntu vs. Debian) is always tricky, even if one distro is based on the other. As you say, the Debian package is compiled for a specific version of FLAC, and your Ubuntu distro contains another. There's not much you can do about that, except 1) Compile ScummVM for yourself, or 2) Use a package built for Ubuntu, 3) Install libFLAC 6 (Since they're seperate major versions, they should be able to coexist).

Option 2 is recommended, or 1 if 2 isn't updated enough (Nr. 3 will just leave a lot of stale files in your system that'll eventually never be needed and never removed). Ubuntu definately has a ScummVM package, though it may not be the latest version. You may need to edit /etc/apt/sources.conf and add the 'universe' repository to be able to access it though.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Vinterstum wrote: Installing a package built for another distro (Ubuntu vs. Debian) is always tricky, even if one distro is based on the other. As you say, the Debian package is compiled for a specific version of FLAC, and your Ubuntu distro contains another. There's not much you can do about that, except 1) Compile ScummVM for yourself, or 2) Use a package built for Ubuntu, 3) Install libFLAC 6 (Since they're seperate major versions, they should be able to coexist).
By the time I asked my questions, I built ScummVM 0.8.2 and it worked fine.
But I'm still curious as if it is normal that a program compiled with a specific library version can't use a newer version of the same library. That seemed odd to me.
You say that libFLAC 6 and 7 are separate major versions. Are they really that different ? Isn't v. 7 supposed to be a backward-compatible evolution of the lib ?

Anyway, these are just questions to ease my curiosity. 0.8.2 compiled fine on my system. "Strangely", I was unable to compile ScummVM 0.9.0 (I could, but not as a Debian version, thus being unable to build a .deb package).

Well, ScummVM is available for Ubuntu in the repositories, but it is the "old" 0.8.0. It's a problem if someone wants to play Kyrandia e.g.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to put the 0.9.0 that someone made on the ScummVM website until is makes its way into a repository (that could take weeks) ?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

abelthorne wrote:
You say that libFLAC 6 and 7 are separate major versions. Are they really that different ? Isn't v. 7 supposed to be a backward-compatible evolution of the lib ?
Without having followed the development of libFLAC, I can't really tell you how different they are :). But this works on a much lower level. The ScummVM binary is compiled to dynamically link with a specific file (If you compile against FLAC 6, it'll be something like libFLAC.6.so). If it can't find that file, it won't run. Whether or not v7 is actually backwards compatible or not doesn't really enter into it :).

Note that ScummVM will -compile- against pretty much any version of FLAC, this is just about the actual runtime linking.

I guess generally developers will keep the same library name for minor updates, but change it when all dependencies really should be recompiled against the new version (but not being a library dev, I really don't know :) ).

abelthorne wrote:Anyway, these are just questions to ease my curiosity. 0.8.2 compiled fine on my system. "Strangely", I was unable to compile ScummVM 0.9.0 (I could, but not as a Debian version, thus being unable to build a .deb package).
You don't really have to build it as a .deb package (I'm not sure if that build method is even updated anymore, most maintainers do their own packaging). A common way of keeping stuff you install seperate and avoid stale files everywhere without using a packaging system, is just to use an install prefix. Like, run ./configure with --prefix=/opt/scummvm, and when you later do a 'make install', all the files will be in subdirectories of /opt/scummvm. Or you can do /usr/local/scummvm, or anything really.

abelthorne wrote:Well, ScummVM is available for Ubuntu in the repositories, but it is the "old" 0.8.0. It's a problem if someone wants to play Kyrandia e.g.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to put the 0.9.0 that someone made on the ScummVM website until is makes its way into a repository (that could take weeks) ?
That's not an official version, and as such we can't vouch for it, and won't put it up. If someone wants to become an official Ubuntu builder though, that would be a different matter.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Vinterstum wrote: That's not an official version, and as such we can't vouch for it, and won't put it up. If someone wants to become an official Ubuntu builder though, that would be a different matter.
Well, I know that's not an official build but I thought that maybe you would make it available while clearly saying it's not official.

My point is that the 0.9.0 version seems to be more difficult to compile for beginners. The fact that there exists one version that is compiled for Ubuntu as a deb package that installs everything correctly is great. Only problem is that it is kept on a "file transfer website", meaning it will disappear sooner or later.

I understand that the guy who made the package is not an official maintainer and I don't think he will. And until there is one version available in a repository, someone that wants to get it must rely on a temporary location.
pankratz

Post by pankratz »

I used the .deb too and it works fine. There are many Ubuntuusers outthere. A copy of this package on the site would be great! Maybe the guy would like to be the "Ubuntu builder"...