Graphic filters on S60?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Shiranai

Graphic filters on S60?

Post by Shiranai »

Hi.
First I wanna say you did a great job with this port!!! I've waited so long for this. Thanx a lot!!!

Can we expect graphic filters in one of the next versions?

It would be really cool to add a filter which smoothens the graphics so the text could be read easier. :shock:

You'll be my heroes if you archieve that :D
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well. I am actually using a very simple interpolating, and there are no given algoritm do see.. what IS text on a graphics screen. So the only way for you to read more easily is to change screenmode.. there are 3..
1. Full landscape.. that scales down 320x240/320x200 to 208x176, text is readable on older scummvm games, but sometimes hard to read.
2. Portrait clipped.. a 256x208 mode which gives full height resolution and removes 64 pixels in x width.. easier to read than 1.
3. Full screen pan mode.. full 320x200 mode (320x240 is scaled down to 320x208).. you can pan around the screen in this. Text should be fully readable.

So recommendations.. use 1 to watch intros etc to not miss out on the action.. use 2 or 3 to play and read text depending on situation and game.
Actually I dont have a non-interpolating mode, even though that would make Scummvm run somewhat faster on the slowest S60 devices.

So what is your pick?

Btw.. you change screenmode by system controls which is.. OK+1-5.. Sometimes you have to navigate back/from Scummvm inorder to get the simultaneous keys to work, as S60 is loosing it when a control looses focus somehow.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Shiranai, use a talkie-version and you won't have to worry about the text :wink:

Anotherguest, is Indy 4 talkie not compatible in this port?
Anchel

Post by Anchel »

Yeah, but most working games on SCUMMVIM for S60 don't have a talkie version or don't work correctly (Simon II).
I have a question: does Revenge of Monkey Island work on this port? If so, does it work with full voice or can you omit them to save space on the memory card?
Shiranai

Post by Shiranai »

Anotherguest wrote:Well. I am actually using a very simple interpolating, and there are no given algoritm do see.. what IS text on a graphics screen. So the only way for you to read more easily is to change screenmode.. there are 3..
1. Full landscape.. that scales down 320x240/320x200 to 208x176, text is readable on older scummvm games, but sometimes hard to read.
2. Portrait clipped.. a 256x208 mode which gives full height resolution and removes 64 pixels in x width.. easier to read than 1.
3. Full screen pan mode.. full 320x200 mode (320x240 is scaled down to 320x208).. you can pan around the screen in this. Text should be fully readable.

So recommendations.. use 1 to watch intros etc to not miss out on the action.. use 2 or 3 to play and read text depending on situation and game.
Actually I dont have a non-interpolating mode, even though that would make Scummvm run somewhat faster on the slowest S60 devices.

So what is your pick?

Btw.. you change screenmode by system controls which is.. OK+1-5.. Sometimes you have to navigate back/from Scummvm inorder to get the simultaneous keys to work, as S60 is loosing it when a control looses focus somehow.
Sure. But always switching between screenmodes can be very annoying.
How about a interpolation method like on other emulators like "Frodo S60". It uses "smoothed" screen modes to squish the C64's 320x200 in the S60 screen and even the small fonts are readable. Looks a bit like anti-alias but I guess its simpler.
As Frodo is open source, I'm sure the programmer Hannu Viitala can help you with the algorithms. Here's his site: http://koti.mbnet.fi/~haviital/
:wink:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well the interpolating I have used comes from Frodo actually. :-)I am trying to optimize text on blackbackground, which works best for older games, and there is a difference in fonts. Actually I am able to read most of the texts my self, but I guess it varies from ppl to ppl..

So ppl are saying.. the text is hard to read, but not which games, and in which situations, i.e which scenes with which fonts.

So instead of saying.. this is not good in general terms you have to be more specific.

But I have been thinking about ways to optimize the scaling for different situations, of course this will slow down the rendering of the screen and gameplay even more.