Midi/Music slow (e.g. Monkey Island)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Natural_born_chilla

Midi/Music slow (e.g. Monkey Island)

Post by Natural_born_chilla »

Hello there,

first of all I want to thank everyone who helped creating ScummVM. The engine was the first thing I managed to play games on Linux. And now on my cell phone... What a great job, so impressive...

Now to my problem: midis are very slow. When you compare the speed to the PC version it's a 1:2 speed, I think. What can I do? Cell phone is a Nokia 6670, I have the newest scummVM installed and the game itself is on a 512 MB - Mini-SD-Card. Don't want to play without the midis...

Thanks for every kind of help!

[ edit: I saw 'worldmast' asked something that is very similar to my problem. Isn't it? Same solution (wait for 'anotherguest' to post how to config 8 khz - sound)? ]
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hmm half the speed, I would n't agree there. Not even on my n-gage. But the game play might be slower, and if the music is synched with the game actions, the whole experience might be feeling slower.

Ahh.. .. reading.. ahh that kind of slow. I guess that the 6670 is a variant of the 6600 model which is known to have problems. Well.. there is way to configure it to only use an 8khz sample rate for compatible reasons but I dont have that setting in my head right now. But it is setting the samplerate in the sdl.ini file. I will have to come back to that.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

In the scummvm folder you have a sdl.ini created.
In this add this

[Audio]
Samplerate=8000

to enable 8khz mode, but if you have a 6630 or higher model you can test to set it to 22050
also you can set

Channels=2

to enable stereo (for those models who support it)
baja.ja

Post by baja.ja »

I have CD version of monkey1 with track1.ogg-track23.ogg, but no music - where is problem ? (nokia 9500)
clem

Post by clem »

baja.ja wrote:I have CD version of monkey1 with track1.ogg-track23.ogg, but no music - where is problem ? (nokia 9500)
does that port come with .ogg support?
Natural_born_chilla

Post by Natural_born_chilla »

In the scummvm folder you have a sdl.ini created.
In this add this

[Audio]
Samplerate=8000
plus 'Channels=1' it works fine for me. ~80-90% speed of the midis... 8)

Another interesting thing is, if the app is minimized and the phone is idling the battery goes down just like you are playing... Isn't to good for you have to start the app every time you wanna play. :roll:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And ogg support depends on the build and which device you are running in. Check about, that will tell if you have ogg support built in.
baja.ja

Post by baja.ja »

Anotherguest wrote:And ogg support depends on the build and which device you are running in. Check about, that will tell if you have ogg support built in.
I can´t - my english is very bad ;)
jtan

noisy and slow sound

Post by jtan »

1st great job, I never imagined was possible to play scumm games in a smartphone!

I'm running MI1 scummvmed CD version (mp3 music) in the Nokia 6681 (Svummvm 0.90 S60 v2). The sound starts good but after a while becames noisy with 'pops' like a defective speaker (btw all musics stored in phone plays pretty good) and a little slow.

I installed the other compilation here: anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds, but the music stops to play. Any hints?

Thanks!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Remember to keep the mp3s as low bitrate as possible 30-64 kbps is enough for it to sound good enough on your phone. Playing mp3 is done by open file, read buffer, close file, to a fixed size buffer.. And the higher the bitrate.. the more reads.. the more delays and clicks and pops.
jtan

Post by jtan »

Thank you sir! Re-encoded all in ogg with 32kbps and works like a charm :D

BTW, the main title is out of sync (1sec delay) and have 4 sec absent between the credits end and the "lookout Interlude". I reworked it and now all fits well. 8)