Gobliiins crashes after credits screen.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

amir

Gobliiins crashes after credits screen.

Post by amir »

Hello,

I have a problem with running gobliiins with ScummVM. After the credits screen the game crashes. Here's the log of the messages:

Code: Select all

Looking for gob1
Trying to start game 'Gobliiins'
WARNING: STUB: vid_initDriver!
WARNING: inter_palLoad: cmd == 49 is not supported!
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
All the messages but the last one appear during the intro but there don't seem to be problems. But then when the credit screen is over or when I skip it the game crashes and gives the last message.
Sorry if there are mistakes in the code. Does anyone know how I can copy those messages?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gobliiins crashes after credits screen.

Post by eriktorbjorn »

amir wrote:I have a problem with running gobliiins with ScummVM. After the credits screen the game crashes.
You don't mention which version of Gobliiins this is. If it's the CD version, and you are playing both the game and the music directly from the CD, it could be the old, known Windows problem mentioned in the README:
When playing games that use CD audio (Towns variants, Loom CD, etc), users of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP may experience random crashes. This is due to a long-standing Windows bug, resulting in corrupt game files being read from the CD. Please copy the game data to your harddrive to avoid this.
You may also want to rip the audio track to your hard disk and compress it, because it's so much more convenient to play it that way.

The next version of ScummVM should present a warning when playing the CD version directly from the CD under Windows. (At least I think it will; I haven't tried it myself.) This check was accidentally left out of 0.8.0 though.
amir

Post by amir »

No, it's the dos version, I already know about this famous Windows bug ;)
From what I understand, the ripping is only relevant to CD versions, isn't it?

Thanks anyway :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

amir wrote:No, it's the dos version, I already know about this famous Windows bug ;)
DOS version of ScummVM? :shock:
amir wrote: From what I understand, the ripping is only relevant to CD versions.
Not just CD versions but those which have audio tracks on them.

Eugene
amir

Post by amir »

Here's the solution report ;) :

I ran the game directly from Windows and found out that it asks for configuration and stuff... I believe the sound card was set to something not good, but I don't know which one. I only know that it works with Adlib Compatible :)

Thanks!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, we don't use original configuration files. I'd suggest you to go with this to our bugtracker. As a first thing, please, supply -d9 output in your bugreport. I.e. run something like

scummvm -d9 gob >output.txt

and attach that output.txt.

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Re: Gobliiins crashes after credits screen.

Post by joachimeberhard »

amir wrote:Does anyone know how I can copy those messages?
For Windows it works like this:

Either by sending the output to a file like "scummvm.exe >file.txt"

with the parameter ">file.txt" you can make a file output with every command line program in Windows.

">" overwrites the specified file, if it exists
">>" would add the output to the specified file, if it exists

Or by right-clicking the "title bar" of your command line window, click "edit" then "mark".
Mark what you want to copy.
Then right-clicking the "title bar" of your command line window again, click "edit" then "copy".

Hopefully I translated it right, I only have a German Windows.

Best regards!

Joachim
amir

Post by amir »

Ok, here's the weirdest thing...

I found out indeed that what I wrote before wasn't relevant. So I went to the bug report and checked the existing bugs. I saw a bug telling that when you skip the intro too quickly before the first sound is heard it may crash. I never did that, I always waited a bit. So I tried it this time by skipping immidiately, and it worked! I tried it a few more times and it always works.

How weird, this is an anti-bug... :D

By the way, is there supposed to be music in gobliiins? I don't remember anymore...

Amir
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

amir wrote:By the way, is there supposed to be music in gobliiins? I don't remember anymore...
Yes, in CD version there was one big audio track. Also Mac version (floppy) had music in extrenal .adl files, but that's not supported at the moment.

Eugene